France drops charges against Rwandan officials - judicial source

PARIS (Reuters) - Investigative magistrates in France have dropped charges against nine Rwandan officials investigated over the death of the country's president in 1994, an event that triggered a genocide that killed more than 800,000 people, a judicial source said.

Reuters December 27, 2018 01:05:39 IST
France drops charges against Rwandan officials -  judicial source

France drops charges against Rwandan officials   judicial source

PARIS (Reuters) - Investigative magistrates in France have dropped charges against nine Rwandan officials investigated over the death of the country's president in 1994, an event that triggered a genocide that killed more than 800,000 people, a judicial source said.

France launched the investigation, which also targeted Rwanda's former defence minister James Kabarebe, in 1998 following demands by relatives of the French crew who died when president Juvenal Habyarimana's plane was downed near Kigali airport by rockets. Burundi's president at the time, Cyprien Ntaryamira, also died in the plane crash.

The opening of the judicial process against Rwandan government officials, and accusations by the current Rwandan administration that France was complicit in the 1994 genocide, damaged relations between the two countries for several years.

Investigators in Rwanda and elsewhere have been unable to determine whether the rockets that brought down the president's plane were fired by people close to the Rwandan regime at the time or by the opposition Rwandan Patriotic Front who put an end to the genocide and took power.

Philippe Meilhac, the lawyer representing Habyarimana's widow and other victims' relatives, said he had appealed the decision to shelve the investigation.

The judicial source said on Wednesday that the charges were dropped on Dec. 21. A French prosecutor had recommended in October that the charges be dismissed due to insufficient evidence.

Meilhac said that, on the contrary, enough evidence had been gathered to justify the opening of a criminal trial.

Emmanuel Bidanda, the lawyer for the French crew members who died in the assassination, said he was also considering appealing the decision.

Rwanda said on Dec. 24 that it welcomed the end of what it called a politically motivated investigation.

(Reporting by Myriam Rivet; Writing by Bate Felix; Editing by Robin Pomeroy, Inti Landauro)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Oil rises 2% as OPEC complies with production cuts
Business

Oil rises 2% as OPEC complies with production cuts

By Jessica Resnick-Ault NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices strengthened on Wednesday, as OPEC and its allies were seen complying with a pact to cut oil supply in September, even as concerns loomed that recovery in fuel demand will be stalled by soaring global coronavirus cases. Early in the day crude was boosted by a bullish stock market. Even as equities whipsawed on pandemic worries, oil stayed higher, buoyed by expectations that OPEC could staunch a supply glut

Tesla's back-to-back price cuts bring sticker on U.S. Model S below $70,000
Business

Tesla's back-to-back price cuts bring sticker on U.S. Model S below $70,000

By Tina Bellon and C Nivedita (Reuters) - Tesla Inc will further cut the price of its Model S "Long Range" sedan in the United States to $69,420, the electric carmaker's chief executive, Elon Musk, announced in a tweet https://bit.ly/2H0JCP0 on Wednesday. The anticipated drop marks the second time this week Tesla has cut the price for the high-end sedan, following a 4% cut of the Model S's price in the United States on Tuesday to $71,990.

Trump cites teenaged son's bout with coronavirus in calling for schools to reopen
World

Trump cites teenaged son's bout with coronavirus in calling for schools to reopen

By Jeff Mason DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Under siege over his handling of the novel coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump on Wednesday cited what he said was his son's mild bout of the virus as a reason why American schools should reopen as soon as possible. Trump made the comment about his son, Barron, as the president swept into Iowa on a mission to shore up support in battleground states that he won in 2016 but is in danger of losing to Democrat Joe Biden barely three weeks before the election. First lady Melania Trump announced in a statement earlier in the day that the virus that struck both her and her husband had also infected their 14-year-old son