Foreign media arrives in North Korea to cover dismantling of country's nuclear test site; South Korean journalists excluded

Wonsan: A small group of foreign journalists arrived in North Korea on Tuesday to cover the dismantling of the country's nuclear test site later this week, but without South Korean media initially also scheduled to participate.

Pyongyang is allowing the limited access to the site to publicise its promise to halt underground tests and launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles. It unilaterally announced the moratorium ahead of a summit between leader Kim Jong-un and President Donald Trump scheduled for 12 June in Singapore.

 Foreign media arrives in North Korea to cover dismantling of countrys nuclear test site; South Korean journalists excluded

File image of Kim Jong-un. AP

The eight South Korean journalists were excluded because Pyongyang has cut off high-level contact with Seoul to protest an exercise with the US military — a protest the North's media reiterated on Tuesday, saying saber-rattling and dialogue don't mix.

Such messages from the North and Trump's statements that he is ready to call it all off have heightened concerns about the success of the summit and prompted South Korean President Moon Jae-in to travel to Washington, where he was to meet with Trump in Washington later on Tuesday.

The group that arrived by charter flight from Beijing is made up of media from the UK, Russia, China and the United States. The journalists, including an Associated Press Television crew, will stay at a hotel in this port city on North Korea's east coast before traveling by train to the site, which is in the northeastern part of the country.

The dismantling ceremony is expected to be held in the coming days, depending on the weather.

The North's decision to close the Punggye-ri nuclear test site has generally been seen as a welcome gesture by Kim Jong-un to set a positive tone ahead of his summit with Trump.

But, it is mainly just a gesture.

The North has already conducted six underground tests at the site — including its most powerful ever, last September — and Kim told ruling party leaders last month that further testing is unnecessary.

North Korea could build a new site if it decides it needs more testing or could dismantle the tunnels into Punggye-ri's Mount Mantap in a reversible manner. Details of what will actually happen at the site are sparse, but Pyongyang's apparent plan to show the closure of the site to journalists, not international nuclear inspectors, has been raised as a matter of concern.

The North's decision to exclude the South Korean media, however, was a more troubling sign of discord.

The South Koreans were expected to participate in the trip, but were left behind in Beijing after the North refused to grant them visas. South Korea's government expressed regret over the decision, but said it still hopes the North's dismantling of the site proceeds as planned and proves to be a genuine step toward denuclearisation.

The exclusion, a sharp departure from the conciliatory mood between the Koreas since the South hosted the Olympics in February, deepens a standoff that began last week when Pyongyang signaled it would cut off all high-level talks with Seoul in response to the joint military exercises.

The North claimed the exercises involved US strategic nuclear assets — including nuclear-capable B-52 bombers — and violated the spirit of detente on the peninsula. Washington denies the bombers were part of the drills.

The North's official media slammed the drills again on Tuesday.

"If the US and the South Korean authorities persist in the confrontation policy and war moves against the DPRK, oblivious of this fact, they will be held wholly accountable for all the ensuing consequences," said a commentary in the daily Minju Joson. "Dialogue and saber rattling can never go together," it added.

Along with its anger over the drills, Pyongyang has warned Kim might "reconsider" the US summit over hard-line comments from Trump's new national security adviser, John Bolton.

Bolton suggested the North must denuclearise before it can receive any reciprocal benefits from Washington. Pyongyang insists the precondition for denuclearisation is for the US to end its "hostile policy."

 

Your guide to the latest cricket World Cup stories, analysis, reports, opinions, live updates and scores on https://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2019.html. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates throughout the ongoing event in England and Wales.

Updated Date: May 22, 2018 13:22:46 IST