Florida nightclub shooting victims sue gunman's employer, widow | Reuters

By Letitia Stein | TAMPA, Fla. TAMPA, Fla. More than 50 victims and survivors of the June 2016 massacre at a Florida nightclub sued the gunman's employer and widow on Wednesday, blaming them for failing to prevent the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S.

Reuters March 23, 2017 01:16:25 IST
Florida nightclub shooting victims sue gunman's employer, widow
| Reuters

Florida nightclub shooting victims sue gunmans employer widow
 Reuters

By Letitia Stein
| TAMPA, Fla.

TAMPA, Fla. More than 50 victims and survivors of the June 2016 massacre at a Florida nightclub sued the gunman's employer and widow on Wednesday, blaming them for failing to prevent the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.The lawsuit filed in the U.S. Southern District of Florida accused the security firm that hired shooter Omar Mateen of ignoring his comments supporting violence prior to the rampage that killed 49 and injured dozens at a gay nightclub in Orlando.The lawsuit accuses Mateen's widow, Noor Salman, of conspiring in the attack by assisting with his purchase of firearms and surveillance of the Pulse nightclub. She faces federal charges of aiding and abetting her husband and obstructing justice by lying to authorities.The civil lawsuit seeks unspecified financial damages on behalf of 57 victims, including survivors and the representatives of several who died. Mateen was killed in a shootout with police after a three-hour standoff inside the club. G4S Secure Solutions, the Florida-based security firm employing Mateen, failed to adequately assess his psychological state, the lawsuit said, and should have removed his service weapon and recommended his state firearms license be revoked.

"They had the best chance to do something about it and did nothing," Chicago-based attorney Antonio Romanucci said at a news conference in Orlando.G4S Secure Solutions said in a statement it planned to "vigorously defend itself against the lawsuit which it considers to be wholly without merit."

Also named in the lawsuit was its Britain-based parent company, G4S Plc (GFS.L), the world's largest global security firm.Several plaintiffs spoke at the news conference about the horror they experienced during the attack and expressed anger that warnings about Mateen were not heeded."To not have anyone do anything about it makes no sense to me," said Ilka Reyes, who was shot multiple times.

Following scrutiny of Mateen's files after the shooting, Florida state officials fined G4S Secure Solutions for providing inaccurate psychological testing information on forms that allowed employees to carry guns.At the time, the company said it learned in 2013 that Mateen had been questioned by the FBI but was unaware of a subsequent interview in 2014. Legal experts noted the difficulty of establishing liability against employers.Salman's attorney, Charles Swift, had not received the lawsuit on Wednesday. He said in an email Salman has pleaded not guilty and has denied responsibility for her husband’s actions. (Reporting by Letitia Stein; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Lisa Shumaker)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.