Few documents seized from Michael Cohen deemed privileged in first review

Few documents seized from Michael Cohen deemed privileged in first review

By Brendan Pierson

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Only a tiny fraction of the documents seized from President Donald Trump's longtime personal lawyer Michael Cohen and reviewed by a court-appointed official are protected by attorney-client privilege, according to a court filing on Monday.

Barbara Jones, the court-appointed special master reviewing the documents, said in the filing in Manhattan federal court that out of 291,770 items found on two phones and an iPad, she agreed with lawyers for Cohen, Trump or the Trump Organization that 148 were privileged.

Jones said that out of 639 items found in eight boxes of hard-copy materials, she agreed that 14 were privileged.

Lawyers for Cohen, Trump and the Trump Organization could not immediately be reached for comment. The office of the U.S. Attorney in Manhattan, which is investigating Cohen for possible crimes related to his business dealings, also could not be reached.

Monday's report covered only a small part of the materials seized by authorities in raids on Cohen's home, office and hotel room in April. Todd Harrison, a lawyer for Cohen, said at a court hearing last week that his firm had received about 3.7 million files.

The investigation stems in part from a referral by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is probing whether Trump's 2016 presidential campaign colluded with Russia.

Trump has repeatedly denied any collusion, and Russia has denied meddling in the U.S. election.

Shortly after the April raids, lawyers for Cohen and Trump asked U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood to allow them to review the seized materials for attorney-client privilege, and bar prosecutors from looking at them until they had done so. Wood allowed them to review the documents, but appointed Jones to vet their claims of privilege.

At last week's hearing, however, Wood set a June 15 deadline for Cohen's and Trump's lawyers to finish their review. She said that if they were not finished by then, the rest of the review would be done by a special team of prosecutors not directly involved in the Cohen probe, as the prosecutors had originally wanted.

(Reporting by Brendan Pierson in New York; Editing by Peter Cooney)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.


Updated Date: Jun 05, 2018 06:06 AM

Also Watch

Social Media Star: Abhishek Bachchan, Varun Grover reveal how they handle selfies, trolls and broccoli
  • Monday, July 16, 2018 It's a Wrap: Soorma star Diljit Dosanjh and Hockey legend Sandeep Singh in conversation with Parul Sharma
  • Monday, July 16, 2018 Watch: Dalit man in Uttar Pradesh defies decades of prejudice by taking out baraat in Thakur-dominated Nizampur village
  • Monday, July 16, 2018 India's water crisis: After govt apathy, Odisha farmer carves out 3-km canal from hills to tackle scarcity in village
  • Sunday, July 15, 2018 Maurizio Sarri, named as new Chelsea manager, is owner Roman Abramovich's latest gamble in quest for 'perfect football'

Also See