Father of Sherin Mathews says he watched as his 3 year old child choked on milk and died

The father of 3-year-old Texas girl Sherin Mathews who went missing in the first week of October and is now confirmed dead told police that his daughter choked while drinking milk and he watched as she died before removing the body from the house. These chilling details come from the arrest affidavit made public by Richardson Police Tueday.

Sherin, 3, was a special needs child with developmental delays. police said.

The affidavit details two statements made by the child’s father. In his first, he tells the police that he asked his daughter to stand outside the house at around 3 a.m. near a large tree as punishment for not drinking her milk.

Link: Arrest affidavit of Wesley Mathews

In the next version, the affidavit says Mathews “had been trying to get the 3 year old girl to drink her milk in the garage” and “Wesley Mathews said she wouldn’t listen to him.”

Father of Sherin Mathews says he watched as his 3 year old child choked on milk and died

File image of Sherin Mathews, 3, who went missing on 7 October/ AP

This later version from Wesley Mathews came 24 hours after Sherin’s body was found not far from the Mathews’ residence at 919, Sunningdale, Richardson, Texas.

Mathews said he “physically assisted” Sherin in drinking the milk. “The 3 year old child began to choke. She was coughing and her breathing slowed. Eventually, Wesley Mathews no longer felt a pulse on the child and believed she had died,” the affidavit states.

“Wesley Mathews has admitted to police that he removed Sherin’s body from the home.

With these cold lines, the affidavit ends.

The puzzle came together after Wesley Mathews' second version of events. The police already knew, 10 days ago, that the family's 2013 maroon Acura MDX SUV was absent from their residence on Sunningdale, between the hours of 4am to 5am on Saturday October 7th. Police put out a Facebook post asking residents and business owners in the area where this vehicle could have traveled within that hour.

Police said Sherin’s mother was asleep at the time of the child's death and has not been charged.

Sherin Mathews disappeared at an unearthly morning hour on 7 October, 2017. Sherin was adopted from an orphanage in India. Sherin Mathews' adoptive mother, Sini Mathews, is now working to convince local authorities that her biological daughter will be safe at home. The biological daughter was taken into state custody after Sherin’s disappearance.

Wesley Mathews has been charged with Injury to a Child, "a first-degree felony punishable by life or from 5 to 99 years in prison,” according to Richardson City police. “In this case, injury to a child is a first-degree felony. From some of the details he (Wesley Mathews) provided us, it meets the description of a first-degree felony. The charge really does not matter, the punishment does", Officer Kevin Perlich, a spokesperson for the local police said.

“It’s the worst type of case you get to work on where innocent children are harmed. We want to assure people that there’s no predator or something like that out there,” Richardson police said.

Mathews and his wife have another child (not adopted) - a 4-year-old who had been taken into custody by Child Protective Services and placed in foster care after Sherin was reported missing.

Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.

Updated Date: Oct 25, 2017 02:59:20 IST

Also See