Experts call China's severe family planning unscientific

A Chinese claim that without its government's severe family planning limits world population would have hit the 7-billion mark years earlier is drawing fire from demographers who call it baseless and unscientific.

hidden October 28, 2011 11:07:04 IST
Experts call China's severe family planning unscientific

Beijing: A Chinese claim that without its government's severe family planning limits world population would have hit the 7-billion mark years earlier is drawing fire from demographers who call it baseless and unscientific.

A report by the official Xinhua News Agency that was carried on news websites and in newspapers said China is responsible for preventing 400 million births with its one-child policy, a set of restrictions that were launched three decades ago limiting most urban families to one child and most rural families to two.

"The population of China would now be around 1.7 billion had it not been for the family planning policy," Xinhua quoted Zhai Zhenwu, director of Renmin University's School of Sociology and Population in Beijing as saying. "And the world's population would have hit seven billion in 2006."

The estimates and the defense of the one-child policy are not new.

Experts call Chinas severe family planning unscientific

United Nations projects that global population will hit 7 billion on 31 October. Reuters

But with the United Nations projecting that global population will hit 7 billion on 31 October, the milestone has refreshed debate about the global need for population control and whether China, still the world's most populous country, serves as model.

Many demographers deny that the one-child policy curbed 400 million births and say China's methods must not be copied.

"A draconian birth control policy is not the answer to the world population problem," said Cai Yong, an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and an expert on China's population.

Cai said Zhai and the government are "rewriting China's fertility reduction history."

Cai and Wang Feng, director of Brookings-Tsinghua Center for Public Policy, last year published a paper in China Reform, a Chinese-language policy discussion magazine, debunking the 400 million figure.

They argue that between 1979 and 2009, China averted 200 million births, half the government estimate. They arrived at the number by calculating what the population would have been if China had maintained its 1979 fertility rate of 2.75 and comparing it to the 2009 fertility rate of 1.7 and population.

Zhai, the professor quoted by Xinhua, said he knows Wang and Cai's paper.

Though he stands by the 400 million figure, he said it covers a period that begins a decade earlier than the one-child policy when China began encouraging later marriages and fewer children.

"It's an estimate anyway," he said. "And there are many different numbers out there but it doesn't change the basic fact that the policy prevented a really large number of births."

Behind the debate over the 400 million figure is larger campaign about whether and when the government should relax the family-planning limits.

Cai and Wang argue that the policy has worsened the country's aging crisis and the imbalanced sex ratio by encouraging families with a preference for male heirs to abort baby girls.

"I think many people like to have these simple large numbers that are easy to recognize, and impressive, but unfortunately it's baseless, it's unscientific," said Wang.

AP

Updated Date:

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply

also read

'Myanmar military must stop oppressing the innocent', UN envoy makes emotional speech
World

'Myanmar military must stop oppressing the innocent', UN envoy makes emotional speech

Opposing the military coup in his country, Myanmar's UN ambassador Kyaw Moe Tun appealed for the 'strongest' action from the international community

Myanmar coup: At least 38 dead on 'bloodiest' day since military seized power, says UN
World

Myanmar coup: At least 38 dead on 'bloodiest' day since military seized power, says UN

Security forces opened fire on anti-coup protesters across Myanmar, day after neighbouring countries called for restraint and offered to help resolve the crisis

Myanmar forces escalate crackdown on protesters; UN envoy opposes coup in dramatic speech
World

Myanmar forces escalate crackdown on protesters; UN envoy opposes coup in dramatic speech

In Yangon, Myanmar police used rubber bullets to disperse a demonstration at Myaynigone junction, the site of an hours-long standoff the day before