Exclusive: Trump's defence chief open to first talks with Russian counterpart - sources
By Phil Stewart WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is open to the possibility of the first talks since 2015 between the defence chiefs of the United States and Russia, a move that would deepen communication between Washington and Moscow, U.S. officials said.
By Phil Stewart
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is open to the possibility of the first talks since 2015 between the defence chiefs of the United States and Russia, a move that would deepen communication between Washington and Moscow, U.S. officials said.
The possibility of talks surfaced after Monday's controversial summit in Helsinki between U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin, in which they sought an end to years of strained relations. Trump was heavily criticized at home for not holding Putin accountable in Helsinki for meddling in the 2016 U.S. election, an allegation that Moscow denies.
Discussions between Mattis and Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu would be another step toward creating more regular top-level political talks between the two nuclear powers, whose relations have deteriorated in recent years to the worst point since the Cold War.
Two U.S. officials, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said Mattis was open to the possibility of talks. They did not suggest he was actively seeking discussions with Shoigu, either in person or by telephone.
The Pentagon declined comment. It said it had not received any invitation from Moscow for talks, despite remarks last week by Shoigu suggesting Mattis had rebuffed invitations, and no plans for any talks have been made.
Mattis, an outspoken critic of Moscow who placed threats from Russia and China at the centre of last year's U.S. National Defense Strategy, has not been publicly opposed to dialogue, however.
Last month, Mattis flew to China for talks with senior officials in Beijing, including Chinese President Xi Jinping. He was firm with Chinese officials over U.S. concerns about Chinese military activities, including in the disputed South China Sea, even as he sought to build ties, officials said.
Since 2015, the highest-level military discussions have been between the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marine General Joseph Dunford, and Russian Chief of the General Staff General Valery Gerasimov.
Dunford, who is subordinate to the defence secretary, and Gerasimov spoke by phone on June 14 and in person in Helsinki on June 8 for their third face-to-face meeting.
But like Gerasimov, Shoigu, a long-time Putin loyalist, also enjoys a high profile in Russia. Shoigu has even been considered a possible presidential stand-in if Putin, who won a fourth term in an election in March, had to step down suddenly and was unable to serve out a full six-year term.
The Russian military is reaping political dividends from what the Kremlin saw as its big successes in Crimea, annexed from Ukraine in 2014, and Syria, where Russian forces helped turn the tide of a civil war in Moscow ally President Bashar al-Assad's favour in 2015.
Shoigu is a critic of the United States and was quoted last week telling an Italian newspaper that Russia would always work to counter what he described as America's "neocolonialism strategy." Shoigu said the strategy was aimed at destabilising countries like Iraq and Libya for U.S. financial gain.
Former U.S. officials said former President Barack Obama's last two defence secretaries - Chuck Hagel and Ash Carter - came to the conclusion after attempts to hold meaningful dialogue with Shoigu that the discussions were not worth their time.
Derek Chollet, a former senior Pentagon official who was present during talks with Shoigu under the Obama administration, doubted that Mattis would find any discussions very productive.
"Perhaps Mattis feels as though he has to test the proposition for himself, but I don't hold out much hope that he's going to get anywhere. If anything, he could expose himself as out of step with his boss," Chollet said, referring to Trump.
"If he sends a tough message to the Russians, and they say: 'that's very interesting but your boss doesn't agree,' - then that's going to be an interesting conversation."
On his trip to Europe last week for a NATO summit, a visit to staunch U.S. ally Britain and then Helsinki, Trump said not a single disparaging word in public about Russia on any of the issues vexing relations, but he did chide NATO members for not spending enough on shared defence.
(Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Mary Milliken and Grant McCool)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
By Jessica Resnick-Ault NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices strengthened on Wednesday, as OPEC and its allies were seen complying with a pact to cut oil supply in September, even as concerns loomed that recovery in fuel demand will be stalled by soaring global coronavirus cases. Early in the day crude was boosted by a bullish stock market. Even as equities whipsawed on pandemic worries, oil stayed higher, buoyed by expectations that OPEC could staunch a supply glut
By Tina Bellon and C Nivedita (Reuters) - Tesla Inc will further cut the price of its Model S "Long Range" sedan in the United States to $69,420, the electric carmaker's chief executive, Elon Musk, announced in a tweet https://bit.ly/2H0JCP0 on Wednesday. The anticipated drop marks the second time this week Tesla has cut the price for the high-end sedan, following a 4% cut of the Model S's price in the United States on Tuesday to $71,990.
By Jeff Mason DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Under siege over his handling of the novel coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump on Wednesday cited what he said was his son's mild bout of the virus as a reason why American schools should reopen as soon as possible. Trump made the comment about his son, Barron, as the president swept into Iowa on a mission to shore up support in battleground states that he won in 2016 but is in danger of losing to Democrat Joe Biden barely three weeks before the election. First lady Melania Trump announced in a statement earlier in the day that the virus that struck both her and her husband had also infected their 14-year-old son