Ex-Trump campaign worker files lawsuit to kill non-disclosure pacts

By Ginger Gibson WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A former campaign worker for President Donald Trump filed a lawsuit on Wednesday seeking to invalidate all of the non-disclosure and non-disparagement agreements that campaign workers were required to sign before joining the president's 2016 election campaign.

Reuters February 21, 2019 05:07:05 IST
Ex-Trump campaign worker files lawsuit to kill non-disclosure pacts

ExTrump campaign worker files lawsuit to kill nondisclosure pacts

By Ginger Gibson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A former campaign worker for President Donald Trump filed a lawsuit on Wednesday seeking to invalidate all of the non-disclosure and non-disparagement agreements that campaign workers were required to sign before joining the president's 2016 election campaign.

If the suit is successful, more campaign workers could feel free to speak publicly about the inner workings of the 2016 campaign apparatus, which has been the subject of immense public scrutiny after accusations that top campaign aides sought to work with Russia to influence the outcome of the election.

Jessica Denson has already attempted to sue the Trump campaign once before, over alleged gender discrimination. The new challenge, filed with the American Arbitration Association, seeks class action status and may be open to all former and current campaign employees.

The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment about the suit from Denson, who was a phone bank and outreach organizer in the 2016 campaign.

Denson's attorney David Bowles told Reuters his client is asking to invalidate all of the agreements, "because they are wrong, and because they are sloppy."

He added, that the agreements "are retaliatory, unconscionable and ... suppress the free speech of campaign workers. They are sloppy because they would fail as a first-year law student drafting assignment."

The complaint alleges that the campaign only sought to enforce Denson's non-disclosure agreement because she filed a gender discrimination suit, which would be retaliation. Successful enforcement of the agreement could result in the former campaign worker being forced to pay large fines to the campaign.

The non-disclosure agreements have already been contested. Earlier this month, Cliff Simms, a former White House employee who wrote a book about his time working in the administration, filed suit after the Trump campaign tried to enforce the non-disclosure agreement he had signed.

The Trump campaign also sought to enforce a non-disclosure agreement last year when former White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman penned a book about her time inside the administration.

Anyone who worked for the campaign and then entered the government or remained in the private sector could face "grievous financial penalty" for simply "criticizing the sitting President of the United States," the complaint says.

(Reporting by Ginger Gibson; Editing by Tom Brown)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.