Ethiopian military has taken 'full control' of Tigray capital, government says
ADDIS ABABA/NAIROBI (Reuters) - Ethiopian troops have taken 'full control' of the Tigray region's capital Mekelle, the government said on Saturday evening, a major development in a three-week-old war that is sending shockwaves through the Horn of Africa. 'The federal government is now fully in control of the city of Mekelle,' Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said in a statement posted on his Twitter page
ADDIS ABABA/NAIROBI (Reuters) - Ethiopian troops have taken "full control" of the Tigray region's capital Mekelle, the government said on Saturday evening, a major development in a three-week-old war that is sending shockwaves through the Horn of Africa.
"The federal government is now fully in control of the city of Mekelle," Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said in a statement posted on his Twitter page.
He said police were searching for the leaders of the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), who have been fighting federal forces in the northern region since Nov. 4.
"Federal police will now continue their task of apprehending TPLF criminals and bring them to the court of law," said Abiy, who has called the government offensive a law and order operation.
There was no immediate comment from the TPLF.
Claims from all sides are difficult to verify since phone and internet links to the region have been down and access has been tightly controlled since fighting began on Nov. 4.
Authorities had said earlier that government forces were in the final stages of an offensive in the region and would take care to protect civilians in Mekelle, a city of 500,000 people.
Abiy said the army had secured the release of thousands of troops in the Northern Command, a military unit based in Tigray that was being held hostage by the TPLF.
The army chief of staff, Birhanu Jula, also announced that government forces had taken control of Mekelle, in a statement on the military's official Facebook page.
State television said that federal forces were in full control of the city by 7 p.m.
Earlier on Saturday, a diplomat in direct contact with residents, and the leader of Tigrayan forces said federal forces had begun an offensive to capture Mekelle.
The government had given the TPLF an ultimatum that expired on Wednesday to lay down arms or face an assault on the city.
Thousands of people are believed to have died during the fighting this month and around 43,000 refugees have fled to neighbouring Sudan during the conflict.
The northern region of Tigray also borders the nation of Eritrea and the conflict has stirred concern about an escalation around the country of 115 million people, or in the region.
Abiy accuses Tigrayan leaders of starting the war by attacking federal troops at a base in Tigray. The TPLF says the attack was a pre-emptive strike.
Abiy told African peace envoys on Friday that his government will protect civilians in Tigray. The prime minister has said he regards the conflict as an internal matter and his government has so far rebuffed attempts at mediation.
(Reporting by Addis Ababa newsroom, Katharine Houreld, David Lewis and Omar Mohammed; Additional reporting by Baz Ratner and Seham Eloraby in al-Qadarif, Sudan; Writing by Maggie Fick; Editing by Frances Kerry)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
By Lisa Barrington DUBAI (Reuters) - Arab states boycotting Qatar could resume travel and trade links with Doha within a week under a U.S.-backed deal, but restoring diplomatic ties requires more time as parties work to rebuild trust, a United Arab Emirates official said on Thursday. Gulf powerhouse Saudi Arabia announced the breakthrough in ending a bitter dispute at a summit on Tuesday, with its foreign minister saying Riyadh and its allies would restore all ties with Doha severed in mid-2017. UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash told a virtual news conference that measures to be implemented within a week of the agreement "include practical measures of airlines, shipping and trade".
By Tracy Rucinski (Reuters) - U.S airlines and law enforcement agencies have bolstered security at Washington-area airports on Thursday after supporters of President Donald Trump caused mayhem in the U.S. capital in an attempt to overturn his election loss.
By Jonathan Landay, Patricia Zengerle and David Morgan WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Speaker Nancy Pelosi called on Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund to resign on Thursday, after officers of the federal force charged with protecting Congress allowed supporters of President Donald Trump to storm the Capitol, sending lawmakers fleeing