Epstein criminal case dismissed following his death, probe continues
By Brendan Pierson NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge on Thursday formally dismissed the criminal sex trafficking case against Jeffrey Epstein, as prosecutors continue to investigate whether co-conspirators helped the financier before his death this month. U.S
By Brendan Pierson
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge on Thursday formally dismissed the criminal sex trafficking case against Jeffrey Epstein, as prosecutors continue to investigate whether co-conspirators helped the financier before his death this month.
U.S. District Judge Richard Berman's order came two days after he said at a hearing that he was legally bound to dismiss the case. Prosecutors said at the Tuesday hearing that an investigation into Epstein's alleged crimes would continue, and that the dismissal would not prevent them from charging possible co-conspirators in the future.
Epstein's lawyers could not immediately be reached for comment on Thursday. A spokeswoman for prosecutors declined to comment.
Epstein, a wealthy 66-year-old money manager who once counted U.S. President Donald Trump, former President Bill Clinton and Britain's Prince Andrew as friends, was arrested on July 6 and pleaded not guilty to sex trafficking charges involving dozens of girls as young as 14.
He was found dead in his Manhattan jail cell on Aug. 10, having been previously taken off suicide watch. A New York City medical examiner concluded that he had died of suicide by hanging.
Epstein's lawyers said at Tuesday's hearing that they had doubts about the examiner's conclusion. The FBI is examining two cameras outside the cell that malfunctioned, a law enforcement source has told Reuters.
A source earlier told Reuters two jail guards had failed to follow a procedure overnight to make separate checks on all prisoners every 30 minutes.
Tuesday's hearing featured emotional testimony from 16 women who said Epstein had abused them, many of whom lamented that he would never face justice in court.
(Reporting By Brendan Pierson in New York; editing by Bill Berkrot, Noeleen Walder and Richard Chang)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.