Envoy says U.S. ready for 'constructive' talks with North Korea - South Korea
By Hyonhee Shin SEOUL (Reuters) - A U.S.
By Hyonhee Shin
SEOUL (Reuters) - A U.S. special envoy said on Friday the United States was ready to hold constructive talks with North Korea to follow through on a denuclearisation agreement reached by the two countries last year, South Korea's foreign ministry said.
Stephen Biegun told his South Korean counterpart, Lee Do-hoon, that Washington wanted to make "simultaneous, parallel" progress on the agreement reached at a summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore last year, the ministry said in a statement.
Both sides agreed to establish new relations and work towards denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.
But negotiations have stalled since a second summit in Vietnam in February collapsed as the two sides failed to narrow differences between U.S. calls for denuclearisation and North Korean demands for sanctions relief.
Russian President Vladimir Putin told South Korean President Moon Jae-in at a summit on the sidelines of G20 meeting in Japan that Kim had told him in April security guarantees were key, and that corresponding measures were needed to realise denuclearisation, according to South Korea's presidential office.
The envoys' meeting, and Putin's remarks, took place ahead of Trump's visit to South Korea this weekend, during which Trump and Moon are expected to discuss ways to kick-start dialogue with the North.
Reclusive North Korea has pursued nuclear and missile programmes for years in defiance of U.N. Security Council and U.S. sanctions.
"Biegun said the upcoming summit would provide a crucial chance to foster peace and prosperity of the Korean peninsula," the ministry said.
Lee offered positive views on a recent cordial exchange of letters between Trump and Kim and on Chinese President Xi Jinping's summit with Kim early this year.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo raised hopes for a revival of talks after the letters, while Xi told Moon on Thursday that Kim's resolve for denuclearisation and dialogue remained unchanged.
Biegun also met South Korean Unification Minister Kim Yeon-chul in charge of inter-Korean affairs, during which they vowed utmost efforts to revive nuclear talks, the foreign ministry said.
Moon has said Washington is in behind-the-scenes talks with Pyongyang over a possible third summit and has proposed a fresh round of talks. But the North said on Thursday the United States had become "more and more desperate in its hostile acts" even as it spoke of dialogue.
North Korea's state media KCNA on Friday urged the United States and South Korea to scrap their plans to carry out joint military drills in the summer.
The allies have replaced their annual major exercises with smaller-scale programmes following last year's detente. But Pyongyang sees the drills as a rehearsal for war and demands they be called off.
"This amounts to a wanton challenge to the desire and expectation of all the Koreans and the international community for peace and stability on the Korean peninsula and an act to create the atmosphere of confrontation and danger of war again," KCNA said in a commentary.
(Reporting by Hyonhee Shin, additional reporting by Joyce Lee; editing by Kim Coghill, Nick Macfie and Tom Brown)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.