England COVID test and trace scheme changes tack after mixed results
By Estelle Shirbon LONDON (Reuters) - England's COVID-19 Test and Trace scheme is to become more locally targeted, the government said on Monday, after data suggested it was not reaching as many contacts of infected people as needed to avoid a second wave of infections. Launched in late May, the scheme jointly operated by the National Health Service (NHS) and private contractors Serco and Sitel has had setbacks ranging from scrapping a promised homegrown mobile app to reports of contact tracers with nothing to do. The scheme will lose 6,000 people on Aug.
By Estelle Shirbon
LONDON (Reuters) - England's COVID-19 Test and Trace scheme is to become more locally targeted, the government said on Monday, after data suggested it was not reaching as many contacts of infected people as needed to avoid a second wave of infections.
Launched in late May, the scheme jointly operated by the National Health Service (NHS) and private contractors Serco and Sitel has had setbacks ranging from scrapping a promised homegrown mobile app to reports of contact tracers with nothing to do.
The scheme will lose 6,000 people on Aug. 24, out of a total of 18,000 currently employed by Serco and Sitel to call people who have tested positive for COVID-19 and trace anyone with whom they have been in recent contact.
"As the approach becomes more locally targeted the national service will adjust. NHS Test and Trace will reduce current extra capacity and reduce the number of non-NHS call handlers," the health ministry said in a statement.
The new approach will give more responsibility to local authorities and public health teams to track people down, with back-up from teams from the national scheme who will be allocated specific local areas to work on.
"If the dedicated national team cannot make contact with a resident within a set period of time, the local public health officials can use the data provided by NHS Test and Trace to follow up," the health ministry said.
The scheme had been criticised by some in the medical and scientific communities for relying too much on contact tracers hired at speed by the private firms and given basic training, as opposed to experienced public health teams with local knowledge.
Last week, a scientific report warned that Britain risked a second wave twice as large as the initial outbreak if it went ahead with plans to reopen schools full-time in September without improving the Test and Trace scheme.
The latest data shows that between Aug. 23 and 29, contact tracers reached just under 80% of people referred to the system after a positive test, and just under 80% of those provided recent contacts.
Of the 19,150 people who were identified as recent close contacts of infected people, 72% were reached, down from 76% in the previous week.
The scheme covers England, which accounts for about 85% of the UK population. In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the health systems are run by semi-autonomous governments.
More than 46,000 people have died of COVID-19 in the United Kingdom, the highest death toll in Europe.
(Reporting by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Angus MacSwan)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.