Egyptian jets press home attacks on Libya's Derna - commanders | Reuters

By Ayman Al-Warfalli | BENGHAZI, Libya BENGHAZI, Libya Egyptian jets carried out air strikes on the Libyan city of Derna on Monday, continuing days of attacks against Islamist militants Egypt says were responsible for ambushing and killing Egyptian Christians last week, Libyan commanders said.Egypt's air force began the attacks just hours after masked men boarded vehicles driving dozens of people to a monastery in the southern Egyptian province of Minya and opened fire at close range, killing 29 and wounding 24.A witness said on Monday one attack hit the western entrance to Derna and two others hit Dahr al-Hamar in the city's south. 'The air strikes are joint ones between the Libyan National Army and Egyptian army,' Ahmad Messmari, a spokesman for Libyan National Army, an eastern Libyan faction allied with Egypt.An Egyptian military spokesman declined to comment

Reuters May 30, 2017 00:17:37 IST
Egyptian jets press home attacks on Libya's Derna - commanders
| Reuters

Egyptian jets press home attacks on Libyas Derna  commanders
 Reuters

By Ayman Al-Warfalli
| BENGHAZI, Libya

BENGHAZI, Libya Egyptian jets carried out air strikes on the Libyan city of Derna on Monday, continuing days of attacks against Islamist militants Egypt says were responsible for ambushing and killing Egyptian Christians last week, Libyan commanders said.Egypt's air force began the attacks just hours after masked men boarded vehicles driving dozens of people to a monastery in the southern Egyptian province of Minya and opened fire at close range, killing 29 and wounding 24.A witness said on Monday one attack hit the western entrance to Derna and two others hit Dahr al-Hamar in the city's south. "The air strikes are joint ones between the Libyan National Army and Egyptian army," Ahmad Messmari, a spokesman for Libyan National Army, an eastern Libyan faction allied with Egypt.An Egyptian military spokesman declined to comment. But Libyan operational commander Brigadier Abdulsalam Al-Hasi told Reuters the strikes targeted Majlis Mujahideen Derna and Abu Salim brigade, two local Libyan groups allied with al Qaeda.Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said Egypt had targetted militant bases in Libya "to get rid of them and to limit their ability to threaten Egypt's national security".

Speaking at a news conference in Cairo with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Shoukry said Egypt looked forward to "Russia utilising all of its available capabilities to work together to get rid of terrorism".Islamic State claimed responsibility for last week's attack in Egypt, the latest targetting the Christian minority there. Two church bombings also claimed by Islamic State killed more than 45 people last month.According to Yasser Risk, chairman of state newspaper Akhbar Elyoum and a former war correspondent with close ties to Egypt's presidency, 15 targets were hit on the first day of strikes, including in Derna and Jafra, in central Libya, where what he called "terrorism centres" were located.

He said the targets included leadership headquarters as well as training camps and weapons storage facilities. Sixty jets were used in the earlier raids, he said. Egypt has carried out air strikes in Libya occasionally since its neighbour descended into factional fighting in the years following the 2011 civil war that ousted Muammar Gaddafi.Islamist militant groups, including Islamic State, have gained ground in the chaos, and Derna, a city of about 150,000 that straddles the coastal highway linking Libya to Egypt, has a long history with Islamist militancy.

Islamic State first attempted to establish a presence in Libya in Derna, but it faced armed resistance from more locally affiliated militant groups including Majlis Mujahideen Derna coalition and Abu Salim brigade. It was driven out of the city in 2015 and later set up its main Libyan base in Sirte.Egypt has been backing eastern commander Khalifa Haftar, whose Libyan National Army has been fighting Islamist militant groups and other fighters in Benghazi and Derna for more than two years.Messmari told reporters in Benghazi late on Sunday that Haftar's forces were coordinating with Egypt's military and the weekend raids targeted ammunition stores and operations camps.Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Friday the air raids targeted militants responsible for plotting the attack, and that Egypt would not hesitate to carry out additional strikes inside and outside the country. (Additional reporting by Asma Alsharif and Ahmed Aboulenein in Cairo; Writing by Patrick Markey; Editing by Louise Ireland and Giles Elgood)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Saudi business leader calls for boycott of goods from 'hostile' Turkey
Business

Saudi business leader calls for boycott of goods from 'hostile' Turkey

RIYADH/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - The head of Saudi Arabia's Chambers of Commerce has called for a boycott of Turkish products amid reports from merchants that animosity between Ankara and Riyadh is hindering the flow of goods between the two regional powers. Saudi Arabia and Turkey have been at odds for some years over foreign policy and attitudes towards political Islamist groups. The murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Saudi's Istanbul consulate in 2018 escalated tensions sharply

Azerbaijan's leader says no end to fighting until Armenia sets pullout timetable
World

Azerbaijan's leader says no end to fighting until Armenia sets pullout timetable

By Nailia Bagirova and Nvard Hovhannisyan BAKU/YEREVAN (Reuters) - Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev demanded on Sunday that Armenia set a timetable for withdrawing from the enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh and surrounding Azeri territories, and said Azerbaijan would not cease military action until that happened.

Five bodies found in northern Italy after violent storms
World

Five bodies found in northern Italy after violent storms

ROME (Reuters) - Five bodies were discovered in northwestern Italy on Sunday, including four washed up on the shore close to the border with France, officials said, in deaths thought to be caused by severe storms in the region. At least some of the corpses might have been swept down the coast from France.