Egyptian forces mistake Mexicans for militants, kill 12 in air raid | Reuters

CAIRO Egyptian Army aircraft hunting for militants in the desert mistakenly bombed a convoy of mostly Mexican tourists, killing 12 people and wounding 10, authorities said on Monday. Survivors said their group was bombed from a plane and helicopters. As members of the tourist convoy tried to flee, additional forces on the ground fired on them, Egyptian security sources said.

hidden September 15, 2015 02:16:36 IST
Egyptian forces mistake Mexicans for militants, kill 12 in air raid  
| Reuters

Egyptian forces mistake Mexicans for militants kill 12 in air raid  
 Reuters

CAIRO Egyptian Army aircraft hunting for militants in the desert mistakenly bombed a convoy of mostly Mexican tourists, killing 12 people and wounding 10, authorities said on Monday.

Survivors said their group was bombed from a plane and helicopters. As members of the tourist convoy tried to flee, additional forces on the ground fired on them, Egyptian security sources said.

Egypt's interior ministry described the attack in the country's western desert as an accident.

Mexico's President Enrique Pena Nieto said two Mexicans were killed in Sunday's incident, though Egyptian security and judicial sources later said eight Mexicans and four Egyptians were killed. The sources added that eight Mexicans and two Egyptians were wounded.

The sister of a Mexican Reiki healer who said her brother was among the dead said a relative of the group's tour guide had sent her a list of eight Mexicans killed in the attack.

The group of 22 had parked their four 4x4 vehicles off-road on Sunday for a barbecue near the Bahariya oasis, a tourist site in the western desert, when army aircraft suddenly began shelling them from above, security sources said.

"Unfortunately we have confirmed that two (Mexicans) lost their lives and six more were wounded," Pena Nieto said, condemning the incident. "Mexico has demanded the Egyptian government conducts a swift, exhaustive investigation."

Mexico's ambassador to Egypt, Jorge Alvarez, said six Mexicans who survived the incident were in stable condition. Alvarez added that the government was still seeking information about six other Mexicans of the 14-strong group still unaccounted for.

Alvarez identified the two dead as Luis Barajas Fernandez and Maria de Lourdes Fernandez Rubio.

Pena Nieto said he had been assured Egypt's prime minister would personally spearhead a probe.

Alvarez said the survivors he visited in hospital had told him they had been bombed by helicopters and an aircraft while they stopped for a break in the desert. The tourists had arrived in Egypt on Sept. 11.

Reuters spoke to Araceli Rangel Davalos, whose nephew Rafael Bejarano was killed and her sister Marisela was wounded in the attack. She said she knew the group's guide, an Egyptology expert whom she identified as Nabil Altawami, well. She had not yet spoken to her sister.

"I have travelled with the guide around 9 times, and he never exposed us to any danger," she told Reuters by telephone. "He protected us."

Gabriela Bejarano, Rafael's sister, cast doubt on the Egyptian government's account of the incident.

"I don't think they were mistaken (for militants)," she told local radio in Mexico. "As far as I understand ... they were dining when they came under attack ... They were in a permitted area. On this occasion they didn't stay to camp, because that was what was not permitted."

Egypt's ambassador to Mexico, Yasser Shaban, said he assured Mexico's government Egypt was taking the incident very seriously and was committed to establishing exactly what happened.

ISLAMIST INSURGENCY

Egypt is battling an insurgency that gained pace after the military ousted Islamist President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood in mid-2013 after mass protests against his rule.

The insurgency, mounted by Islamic State's Egyptian affiliate, has killed hundreds of soldiers and police and has started to attack Western targets.

A joint force from the Egyptian police and military had been chasing militants in the country's vast western desert when it came across the tourist convoy, which it mistook for the militants it was pursuing, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.

Egypt's army spokesperson declined to comment and said only to refer to the interior ministry statement.

Islamic State released a statement carried by its supporters on Twitter saying it had repelled an attack by the Egyptian military in the western desert.

Security officials say militants operating from Libya to the west of Egypt have been trying to forge ties with Islamists in the Sinai on the east side of the country.

The vehicles used by the tourist convoy closely resembled those of the militants the joint force had been pursuing, security sources said.

'RESTRICTED AREA'

Egyptian tourism federation chairman Elhamy Elzayat told Reuters: "The area is a restricted area, and the company made a mistake by taking the tourists to that area without a permit. They must obtain a permit before going there."

Officials at the company that organised the tour were not immediately available for comment.

Despite the apparent danger of the area, there are no warning signs along the desert path, and the attack occurred despite an official police representative accompanying the tourist convoy, said tour guide syndicate leader Hassan al-Nahla.

"Because of this negligence and lack of coordination between the ministry of tourism and ministry of interior, Egypt...will pay the price when this affects tourism," said al-Nahla.

While the Islamist insurgency has been largely based in the Sinai Peninsula, attacks have taken place in Cairo and other cities.

(Reporting by Asma Alsharif; writing by Eric Knecht; additional reporting by Noe Torres and Michael O'Boyle in Mexico City; Editing by Mark Trevelyan, Simon Gardner, Grant McCool and David Gregorio)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

North Korea demands South halt loudspeaker broadcasts, threatens action
| Reuters
World

North Korea demands South halt loudspeaker broadcasts, threatens action | Reuters

SEOUL North Korea on Saturday demanded that the South halt anti-North propaganda broadcasts via loudspeakers along the border or face military action, a day after it denied Seoul's accusation that it planted landmines that wounded two South Korean soldiers.

Microsoft hangs up on Nokia business, to cut 7,800 jobs
| Reuters
Fwire

Microsoft hangs up on Nokia business, to cut 7,800 jobs | Reuters

Microsoft Corp said on Wednesday it would cut 7,800 jobs, or nearly 7 percent of its workforce, and write down about $7.6 billion related to its Nokia phone business. Most of the job cuts will be in the phone hardware business, underscoring the company's shift in focus to software and cloud from hardware. About a third of the layoffs will be in Finland, where Microsoft will shut down a product development unit, according to Finland's national broadcaster YLE

Central banks playing with fire in growth push - Raghuram Rajan
| Reuters
Fwire

Central banks playing with fire in growth push - Raghuram Rajan | Reuters

NEW YORK The "specter of deflation" is spurring the world's major central banks into a dangerous struggle for stronger domestic growth that imperils financial markets and ignores the needs of developing nations, the head of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said on Tuesday. RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan, making a familiar argument for better global coordination on monetary policy, said central bankers in developed economies should bear in mind their international responsibilities.