Ecuador earthquake: Death toll at 650, over 100 people rescued from deep rubble

Quito(Ecuador): Nearly 650 people are now known to have died in the strong earthquake that hit Ecuador one week ago, President Rafael Correa said Saturday, as the toll jumped yet higher.

Last Saturday's 7.8-magnitude quake was the worst to strike the South American country in decades, causing buildings to collapse and damaging roads and other infrastructure in tourist areas along Ecuador's coast.

Locals recover belongings from the rubble in Pedernales, Ecuador on Saturday, a week after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the country. Getty Images

Locals recover belongings from the rubble in Pedernales, Ecuador on Saturday, a week after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the country. Getty Images

Strong aftershocks have rattled the country daily since and the number of dead is expected to rise further with another 130 people still missing.

"We have 646 dead, 12,492 wounded and 26,091 people in shelters," Correa said, adding that more than 100 people had been plucked alive from deep rubble and rescue work is ongoing, even though hopes of finding more survivors are fast evaporating.

The previous death toll stood at 602.

Correa announced a series of drastic economic measures in an address to the nation Wednesday aimed at paying for what he estimates will be the $3 billion cost of rebuilding the shattered country.


Updated Date: Apr 24, 2016 14:19 PM

Also Watch

It's A Wrap: Omerta star Rajkummar Rao in conversation with Parul Sharma
  • Thursday, April 26, 2018 In the Kanjarbhat community, a campaign against 'virginity tests' is slowly gaining ground
  • Thursday, April 19, 2018 Watch: National-level skater and coach Dhwanit Rele trains and nurtures budding athletes
  • Monday, May 14, 2018 FOMO Episode 1: Google Assistant, This is America, Sonam's wedding & Global Warming
  • Saturday, May 19, 2018 Social Media Star: Rajkummar Rao and Bhuvan Bam open up about selfie culture, online trolls

Also See