Decision to allow passengers off Ruby Princess was by NSW state - Australian Border Force

SYDNEY (Reuters) - New South Wales state's health department allowed passengers off the coronavirus-stricken Ruby Princess cruise ship as they determined it to be 'low risk', a top Australian Border Force (ABF) official said on Wednesday. ABF Commissioner Michael Outram was speaking in Canberra, days after 2,700 passengers disembarked from the Ruby Princess in Sydney harbour, with 48 on board subsequently testing positive for the virus. Outram said the health departments of respective states and territories were responsible for human biosecurity-related matters

Reuters March 25, 2020 07:10:15 IST
Decision to allow passengers off Ruby Princess was by NSW state - Australian Border Force

Decision to allow passengers off Ruby Princess was by NSW state  Australian Border Force

SYDNEY (Reuters) - New South Wales state's health department allowed passengers off the coronavirus -stricken Ruby Princess cruise ship as they determined it to be "low risk", a top Australian Border Force (ABF) official said on Wednesday.

ABF Commissioner Michael Outram was speaking in Canberra, days after 2,700 passengers disembarked from the Ruby Princess in Sydney harbour, with 48 on board subsequently testing positive for the virus.

Outram said the health departments of respective states and territories were responsible for human biosecurity-related matters.

(Reporting by Swati Pandey; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

Rockets hit near U.S. forces and contractors in Iraq in separate attacks -officials
World

Rockets hit near U.S. forces and contractors in Iraq in separate attacks -officials

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Rockets hit near U.S. forces and contractors in Iraq on Wednesday, including an air base north of Baghdad and a military base at Baghdad International Airport, the Iraqi army and security officials said. The army reported at least three rockets hit Balad air base, where U.S

Italian police probe subcontractor to Burberry over labour exploitation -warrant
World

Italian police probe subcontractor to Burberry over labour exploitation -warrant

By Silvia Ognibene and Silvia Aloisi FLORENCE, Italy (Reuters) -Italian police have arrested a Chinese couple accused of running a leather goods business which exploited immigrant workers it employed to make handbags for a Burberry supplier, according to an arrest warrant seen by Reuters. Tax police in Florence said in a statement that the two Chinese nationals were arrested on Wednesday as part of an investigation into alleged labour exploitation and tax fraud and that restrictive measures had been imposed on two other family members, including a ban on them leaving Italy

U.S. blacklists four Nicaraguans, including Ortega's daughter
World

U.S. blacklists four Nicaraguans, including Ortega's daughter

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Wednesday blacklisted four Nicaraguans, including a daughter of President Daniel Ortega, as Washington warned it would continue to use diplomatic and economic tools against members of the leftist government engaged in repression. The U.S. State Department called on Ortega to release detained presidential candidates as well as other civil society and opposition leaders arrested over the past week in what Washington called "an increasing wave of repression." "There are costs for those who are complicit in the regime's repression.