Torrential rains and floods caused by Cyclone Ditwah have killed 123 people across Sri Lanka, with another 130 still missing, according to the Disaster Management Centre on Saturday. Director General Sampath Kotuwegoda said relief efforts were ongoing, with 43,995 people moved to state-run welfare centres after their homes were destroyed by a week of heavy rain.
The weather system was moving away from the island towards India but had already caused extensive destruction. Relief operations supported by the armed forces were underway, Kotuwegoda told reporters in Colombo. The effects of the weather system had been felt since Monday, although the cyclone made landfall on Wednesday, triggering record rainfall across the island.
Flooding in low-lying areas worsened on Saturday, prompting evacuation orders for residents living along the Kelani River, which flows into the Indian Ocean from Colombo. The river burst its banks on Friday evening, forcing hundreds into temporary shelters. While rain had eased in much of the country, including the capital, parts of the north continued to experience showers due to the cyclone’s residual effects.
India sends aid as authorities warn of worsening flood levels
Officials said India had sent a planeload of supplies early on Saturday for those affected. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed condolences over the loss of life and said New Delhi was prepared to provide further assistance as needed.
The Sri Lankan government has deployed the armed forces to support rescue and relief efforts nationwide, using military helicopters and boats to evacuate stranded residents. DMC officials warned that flood levels may surpass those recorded in 2016, when 71 people died across the country.
This week’s weather-related toll is the highest since June last year, when 26 people were killed following heavy rains. In December, 17 people died in flooding and landslides. Sri Lanka’s worst flooding since the start of the century occurred in June 2003, when 254 people were killed.
)