Coronavirus Outbreak: Italian doctor who spoke about having to treat patients without gloves dies from COVID-19
An Italian doctor who had spoken out about having to treat coronavirus patients without gloves due to a supply shortage has died from the disease
An Italian doctor who had spoken out about having to treat coronavirus patients without gloves due to a supply shortage has died from the disease.
As per a report in Washington Post, Italy’s National Federation of Doctors and General Practitioners announced that 57-yer-old Marcello Natali died Wednesday after testing positive for the novel coronavirus and then battling double pneumonia.
Weeks before his diagnosis and death, the doctor had given an interview where he raised alarms about the number of doctors in the country who had been infected by the virus.
In an interview with Euronews, Natali had revealed he was not able to work with gloves simply because they have run out.
In the course of the interview, the doctor had said that they were not prepared to face such a situation, especially growing up in a post-antibiotic era where everyone thought that a pill was enough to combat any disease.
According to reports, the doctor died in isolation while being quarantined in intensive care. Following his diagnosis, Natali was hospitalised in Cremona before being transferred to Milan when he developed double pneumonia
Washington Post quoted Italian news agency ANSA that Natali is among 13 doctors who have succumbed to the virus while treating patients amid the pandemic.
Coronavirus has struck over 2 lakh people around the world with over 10,000 deaths due to the disease.
According to government figures, 53 new COVID-19 deaths were reported in the country in span of 24 hours. This has increased total fatalities due to the cirus to 5,26,530. The daily positivity rate stands at 5.14 per cent.
The vaccinator allegedly used a single syringe to administer COVID-19 vaccines to 39 children at a private school, leading to his arrest and suspension of the district vaccination officer, officials said
Tourism hotspot Sanya is a city of more than a million people on the southern island of Hainan, where 483 Covid cases were reported Sunday. All flights out of the city were cancelled over the weekend, with authorities also halting train ticket sales