Coronavirus Outbreak: Chef Floyd Cardoz of The Bombay Canteen succumbs to Covid-19 in New York

Chef Floyd Cardoz was the co-founder and culinary director of popular and acclaimed restaurants like The Bombay Canteen, O Pedro, and Bombay Sweet Shop. He also received accolades for his New York restaurant The Bombay Bread Bar.

FP Staff March 25, 2020 19:27:05 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: Chef Floyd Cardoz of The Bombay Canteen succumbs to Covid-19 in New York

Noted chef and entrepreneur Floyd Cardoz passed away on Wednesday, 25 March, at a hospital in New York; he had been diagnosed as positive for COVID-19 after complaining of a fever.

The Hunger Inc (the parent company that runs Cardoz's business ventures), issued a statement confirming the news:

"It is with deep sorrow that we inform you of the passing away of Chef Floyd Cardoz (59 years), Co-Founder, Hunger Inc. Hospitality, on 25 March 25, in New Jersey, USA.

He is survived by his mother Beryl, wife Barkha and sons Justin and Peter.

Floyd tested positive for Covid 19, in USA, on 18 March and was being treated for the same at Mountainside Medical Centre, New Jersey, USA."

On 18 March, Cardoz had put up an Instagram post stating that he returned to New York from Mumbai on 8 March and since he was "feeling feverish", as a precautionary measure, had decided to admit himself into a hospital in New York.

A few days ago, a statement by The Hunger Inc confirming the news of Cardoz's diagnosis, noted that the Health Department in Mumbai was informed about the same. "We are also reaching out personally to people who have interacted with him during his visit to India, so they can take necessary medical advice should they indicate any symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath) and/ or self-quarantine," the statement had read.

Chef Floyd Cardoz was the co-founder and culinary director of popular and acclaimed restaurants like The Bombay Canteen, O Pedro, and Bombay Sweet Shop. He also received accolades for his New York restaurant The Bombay Bread Bar.

Click here to follow LIVE updates on coronavirus outbreak

Updated Date:

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply

also read

Coronavirus pandemic sees January transfer spending in football plummet nearly 50 percent
Sports

Coronavirus pandemic sees January transfer spending in football plummet nearly 50 percent

Spending on transfers during the January window fell from $1.16 billion in 2020 to $590 million in 2021, the lowest sum since 2014.

Serie A: Lazio to make appearance in Italian court over possible breach of COVID-19 rules
Sports

Serie A: Lazio to make appearance in Italian court over possible breach of COVID-19 rules

Lazio are accused of failing to alert local health authorities when eight "staff" tested positive at the end of October, on the eve of a Champions League match, then at the beginning of November, again before a Champions League match.

Joe Biden lifts Trump-era ban on green card applicants, says 'immigration policy harms US business'
World

Joe Biden lifts Trump-era ban on green card applicants, says 'immigration policy harms US business'

The former US president had halted the issuance of green cards until the end of 2020 and deemed immigrants a 'risk to the US labor market' due to the coronavirus pandemic