Congo reports first Ebola case in 6 weeks
KINSHASA (Reuters) - The first case of Ebola in more than 50 days has been detected in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the government said on Friday, in a major setback to hopes that the second worst outbreak in history might be over. The Central African country planned to declare an end to the outbreak on Sunday. It has killed more than 2,200 since August 2018 in an area of the country where rebel attacks hobbled efforts to contain it.
KINSHASA (Reuters) - The first case of Ebola in more than 50 days has been detected in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the government said on Friday, in a major setback to hopes that the second worst outbreak in history might be over.
The Central African country planned to declare an end to the outbreak on Sunday. It has killed more than 2,200 since August 2018 in an area of the country where rebel attacks hobbled efforts to contain it.
Until Friday, no new cases had been recorded since Feb. 17.
Flare-ups or one-off transmissions are common towards the end of Ebola outbreaks and a new case does not necessarily mean that the virus will spread out of control again.
It can stay in semen for over 550 days, researchers have said.
Ebola causes fever, bleeding, vomiting and diarrhoea and spreads among humans through bodily fluids.
The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus confirmed the case on Twitter on Friday and said WHO had been expecting more cases to emerge, and was prepared to respond.
"Unfortunately, this means the government of (Congo) will not be able to declare an end to the ...outbreak ...as hoped," he said.
(Reporting By Benoit Nyemba; Writing by Hereward Holland; Editing by Edward McAllister and John Stonestreet)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.