Congo authorities eye victory as candidates launch election campaigns

KINSHASA (Reuters) - Candidates launched their campaigns on Thursday for a Dec. 23 election that could usher in the first democratic transfer of power in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Reuters November 23, 2018 00:08:40 IST
Congo authorities eye victory as candidates launch election campaigns

Congo authorities eye victory as candidates launch election campaigns

KINSHASA (Reuters) - Candidates launched their campaigns on Thursday for a Dec. 23 election that could usher in the first democratic transfer of power in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

President Joseph Kabila, who has ruled the vast country since his father's assassination in 2001, is backing his former interior minister Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary in the presidential race against a fractured opposition.

"We are sure we will win, by what margin is up to the people. It is enough to look at our adversaries to understand we will win for sure," government spokesman Lambert Mende said.

Campaigning officially kicked off at midnight, after which Kabila, Shadary and coalition members held a meeting at the president's farm outside the capital, Kinshasa, on Thursday.

The election had been meant to happen before Kabila's mandate expired in 2016, but has been delayed for so long that many doubted it would ever take place. Questions remain over how it will be conducted.

Opposition groups have harshly criticised a new system with electronic voting machines, which they say are more vulnerable to vote-rigging than paper and ink and could be compromised by the unreliability of Congo's power supply.

On Thursday, the head of the electoral commission (CENI) said 70 percent of the "kits and electoral material" had reached their destinations and that the rest were expected to arrive no later than Dec. 7.

The opposition is in disarray after a deal to support a single candidate collapsed last week as a result of two opposition leaders, Felix Tshisekedi and Vital Kamerhe, pulling out.

Those two are expected to announce a joint candidacy between their parties in coming days. Remaining members of the opposition are backing businessman Martin Fayulu.

Speaking at the airport on his return to Kinshasa on Wednesday, Fayulu reiterated his opposition to the new voting system.

"Our objective is to achieve credible elections, that is elections with paper ballots without voting machines, with a clear and clean electoral list so that ... results are in accordance with (the people's) vote," he told a cheering crowd.

On his way into town later he was welcomed by thousands of supporters.

Over 46 million people are registered to vote, but nearly seven million of these have been disbarred over issues with their credentials, the CENI said on Thursday, without giving further details.

The electoral campaign will officially end at midnight on Dec. 21.

(Reporting by Giulia Paravicini; Editing by Alessandra Prentice and Andrew Roche)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.