Colombia opens investigation into former general after spying accusations

By Luis Jaime Acosta BOGOTA (Reuters) - Colombia will open an investigation into a former top general, the country's attorney general's office said on Monday, following local media reports alleging the army spied on judicial officials, journalists and other military personnel. It is the latest in a long series of spying scandals in the Andean country, including accusations that military officials spied on negotiators at talks with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebels, which eventually led to a 2016 peace accord

Reuters January 14, 2020 01:13:32 IST
Colombia opens investigation into former general after spying accusations

Colombia opens investigation into former general after spying accusations

By Luis Jaime Acosta

BOGOTA (Reuters) - Colombia will open an investigation into a former top general, the country's attorney general's office said on Monday, following local media reports alleging the army spied on judicial officials, journalists and other military personnel.

It is the latest in a long series of spying scandals in the Andean country, including accusations that military officials spied on negotiators at talks with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebels, which eventually led to a 2016 peace accord. Other investigations have been unable to identify those responsible for alleged spying.

"The Attorney General's Office today begins an investigation in relation to these events. Given that a general of the republic is mentioned, obviously it corresponds to office's official in the Supreme Court," Interim Attorney General Fabio Espitia told journalists.

The investigation into former General Nicacio de Jesus Martinez, who stepped down last year, comes after local magazine Semana published a Sunday cover story alleging spying on politicians, magistrates, members of the military and journalists.

In a statement, Martinez denied any responsibility for illegal efforts to intercept communications and said he would take legal action against his accusers.

"I am completely removed from these kind of illegal and injurious actions", said Martinez, who became head of the military in 2018.

The government has said the former general left his post in December for personal reasons. His retirement came after he denied putting pressure on high-ranking officers to sharply increase the number of rebels and gang members killed or captured.

Defense Minister Carlos Holmes Trujillo ordered a review of military intelligence work conducted during the last decade. He told journalists the government rejects persecution, tracking or illegal interceptions and will have zero tolerance with illegal acts and corruption within the armed forces.

"If we discover irregularities, the government will demand that those responsible are sanctioned in an exemplary manner," Trujillo said.

(Reporting by Luis Jaime Acosta; Writing by Julia Symmes Cobb; Editing by David Gregorio)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

More than 20 killed in Mali airstrike on wedding ceremony - health worker
World

More than 20 killed in Mali airstrike on wedding ceremony - health worker

DAKAR (Reuters) - More than 20 people, including children, were killed in an airstrike during a wedding ceremony in central Mali on Sunday, a health worker with knowledge of the attack told Reuters. (Reporting By Edward McAllister; Editing by Aaron Ross)

Bleak start to new year for Britain as it enters third lockdown
World

Bleak start to new year for Britain as it enters third lockdown

By Estelle Shirbon and Natalie Thomas LONDON (Reuters) - Britain began its third COVID-19 lockdown on Tuesday with the government calling for one last major national effort to defeat the spread of a virus that has infected an estimated one in 50 citizens before mass vaccinations turn the tide. Finance minister Rishi Sunak announced a new package of business grants worth 4.6 billion pounds ($6.2 billion) to help keep people in jobs and firms afloat until measures are relaxed gradually, at the earliest from mid-February but likely later

France cranks up COVID-19 vaccine rollout to deliver shots faster
World

France cranks up COVID-19 vaccine rollout to deliver shots faster

By Dominique Vidalon and Sudip Kar-Gupta PARIS (Reuters) - France is stepping up its COVID-19 vaccine rollout by widening the first target group to include more health workers and simplifying a cumbersome process to deliver shots more quickly, Health Minister Olivier Veran said on Tuesday. France's inoculation campaign got off to a slow start, hampered in part by red tape and President Emmanuel Macron's decision to tread warily in one of the world's most vaccine-sceptical countries. France has fallen behind neighbours such as Britain and Germany, and the president is now demanding the vaccination programme be expedited