Clashes erupt after Congo vote campaigning halted in Kinshasa

By Giulia Paravicini KINSHASA (Reuters) - Police fired tear gas to disperse rock-throwing opposition supporters in Democratic Republic of Congo's capital on Wednesday after the governor ordered a halt to campaigning ahead of Sunday's presidential vote for security fears. The decision by Governor Andre Kimbuta, of the ruling coalition, follows crackdowns by security forces last week that killed at least seven people and a fire that destroyed thousands of voting machines. Some media reported the election might be delayed for a few days due to problems moving vote materials round the country, but electoral commission Marie-France Idikayia denied that

Reuters December 20, 2018 02:06:22 IST
Clashes erupt after Congo vote campaigning halted in Kinshasa

Clashes erupt after Congo vote campaigning halted in Kinshasa

By Giulia Paravicini

KINSHASA (Reuters) - Police fired tear gas to disperse rock-throwing opposition supporters in Democratic Republic of Congo's capital on Wednesday after the governor ordered a halt to campaigning ahead of Sunday's presidential vote for security fears.

The decision by Governor Andre Kimbuta, of the ruling coalition, follows crackdowns by security forces last week that killed at least seven people and a fire that destroyed thousands of voting machines.

Some media reported the election might be delayed for a few days due to problems moving vote materials round the country, but electoral commission Marie-France Idikayia denied that.

On the outskirts of Kinshasa, carloads of police using pink tear gas blocked supporters of opposition candidate Martin Fayulu, who was trying to enter the city on his way to a rally, a witness said.

"What are they scared of? I only have God and my people," Fayulu said in a tweet. Campaign workers later told supporters, who had turned up for the rally in Kinshasa's N'Djili neighbourhood, that it was cancelled.

Police did not respond to a request for comment.

The election, originally scheduled for 2016, is meant to choose a successor for President Joseph Kabila, due to step down after 18 years in power. If successful, it would be Congo's first democratic transfer of power, but Kinshasa authorities said they feared violence.

"The information in our possession attests that in all the political camps of the main presidential candidates, extremists have prepared and are preparing for a street confrontation in the city of Kinshasa during election campaign activities," Kimbuta said in a statement, without giving further details.

Kinshasa is an opposition stronghold, where security forces killed dozens during protests against Kabila's refusal to step down when his mandate officially expired two years ago.

FRAUD ALLEGATIONS

Campaigning was due to end at midnight on Friday in the race between Kabila's preferred successor, Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, and two main challengers, Fayulu and Felix Tshisekedi.

Their camps rejected the ban.

"We cannot submit to a law that violates not only well established principles but that also violates the rights and freedoms of the candidates," said Jean-Marc Kabund, secretary-general of Tshisekedi's party.

Opposition leaders say the government is trying to rig the results with new electronic voting machines and falsified voter registrations. The government denies that.

Governor Kimbuta said the only way candidates could campaign in Kinshasa would be via media, where Shadary has a big advantage due to sizeable campaign funds and state or ruling party control of many media outlets.

However, a rare national opinion poll in October showed Tshisekedi leading the race with 36 percent, well ahead of Shadary's 16 percent. Fayulu had 8 percent.

Congolese hope the election draws a line under decades of conflict and authoritarian rule. Millions died in two wars around the turn of the century and dozens of militia remain active near the eastern borders.

More than 100 people have died in clashes this week between rival ethnic groups in the normally peaceful northwest, local activists told Reuters.

(Additional reporting by Stanis Bujakera; Writing by Aaron Ross; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne and Jon Boyle)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Canada will continue to stand up against Chinese human rights abuses, PM Trudeau says
World

Canada will continue to stand up against Chinese human rights abuses, PM Trudeau says

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday said he will continue to stand up against China's "coercive diplomacy" and its human rights abuses in Hong Kong and Xinjiang after being rebuked by Beijing for similar comments earlier this week. "We will stand up loudly and clearly for human rights all around the world, whether it is talking about the situation faced by the Uighurs, whether it is talking about the very concerning situation in Hong Kong, whether it's calling out China for its coercive diplomacy," Trudeau said in a news conference. (Reporting by Steve Scherer and Julie Gordon, Editing by Franklin Paul)

Young people in France: 'Don't make us scapegoats for COVID-19'
World

Young people in France: 'Don't make us scapegoats for COVID-19'

By Caroline Pailliez PARIS (Reuters) - Solene Tissot, a 19-year-old student in Paris, will obey the curfew imposed to fight COVID-19, but she has one request for her country's leaders: don't blame young people for the second wave of the virus. "There's been this kind of assigning guilt to young people," she said on Friday, hours before the new curfew was to come into force in Paris and major French cities. "I reject that." After a lull over the summer, the rates of transmission of coronavirus are going up in many parts of Europe and officials have identified social interactions between young people as a source of the resurgence.

Wider Image: Jailed Philippine activist lays to rest her three-month-old baby
World

Wider Image: Jailed Philippine activist lays to rest her three-month-old baby

By Adrian Portugal and Eloisa Lopez MANILA (Reuters) - Jailed Philippine activist Reina Mae Nasino wanted to hold her three-month-old daughter for the last time before she was laid to rest on Friday but she could not. Heavily armed prison officials guarding her refused to uncuff her despite pleas from her family and human rights supporters, who have decried what they described as inhumane treatment of Nasino and other mothers in Philippine jails.