CIA found recording of Saudi Arabia crown prince giving order to 'silence' Jamal Khashoggi, says report
Jamal Khashoggi was killed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October in an operation that Turkey’s President Tayyip Erdogan has said was ordered by the highest level of Saudi leadership.
Istanbul: A Turkish newspaper reported on Thursday that CIA director Gina Haspel signalled to Turkish officials in October that the agency had a recording of a call in which Saudi Arabia’s crown prince gave instructions to "silence" Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Asked about the report, a Turkish official told Reuters he had no information about such a recording. Saudi Arabia has said Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had no prior knowledge of Khashoggi’s killing at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul six weeks ago.
"There is talk of another recording," Hurriyet newspaper journalist Abdulkadir Selvi wrote in a column, saying the purported call took place between Prince Mohammed and his brother, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Washington.
"It is being said that CIA chief Gina Haspel indicated this during her visit to Turkey," he wrote, adding that they had discussed Khashoggi, a critic of the kingdom’s de facto ruler.
"It is being said the crown prince gave orders to silence Jamal Khashoggi as soon as possible," in a call which was monitored by the US agency, he said.
Khashoggi was killed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October in an operation that Turkey’s President Tayyip Erdogan has said was ordered by the highest level of Saudi leadership.
After offering numerous contradictory explanations, Riyadh said last week Khashoggi had been killed and his body dismembered when negotiations to persuade him to return to Saudi Arabia failed.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply
The officials said they had expected the protests to be similar to two pro-Donald Trump events in late 2020 that were far less violent
The move is part of the organisation's rebranding effort and not related to a confidential settlement reached with members of the 2008 and 2010 cheerleading teams
Secretary of State Antony Blinken warned that the US would not hesitate to take further action 'against those who perpetrate violence and suppress the will of the people'