China fires three officials after Typhoon Nepartak kills 83

Beijing: The Chinese government has fired three officials in an eastern province after a strong tropical storm killed 83 people and left 19 others missing, an official news agency reported on Monday.

China Asia Typhoon_380_AP

People clear debris near their shops after Typhoon Nepartak hit, in Minqing county in southeast China's Fujian province. AP.

Typhoon Nepartak, which had weakened to a tropical storm when it hit China, toppled nearly 10,000 houses in eastern Fujian province's capital of Fuzhou over the past week, Xinhua News Agency said.

The county of Minqing was the worst hit, reporting 73 deaths and 17 missing, and widespread cuts to power and telecommunications services, the report said.

The county's deputy party chief and acting head, Huang Shiyang, and two other officials have been suspended from their duties, Xinhua said.

Nepartak made landfall in China on 9 July. Authorities said then that about half a million people had been evacuated.

China is already contending with some of the worst flooding the country has experienced in recent years, with nonstop rain since June along the Yangtze River killing more than 230 people and leaving dozens missing.


Updated Date: Jul 18, 2016 10:25 AM

Also Watch

Watch: Firstpost test rides the new Thunderbird 500X in Goa and walks you through the Royal Enfield Garage Cafe
  • Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Varun Dhawan on Shoojit Sircar's October, 5-star reviews and working with Anushka Sharma in Sui Dhaaga
  • Saturday, April 14, 2018 Ambedkar Jayanti: Re-visiting Babasaheb's ideals exposes fake Dalit politics of Rahul Gandhi and Congress
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 48 hours with Huawei P20 Pro: Triple camera offering is set to redefine smartphone imaging
  • Monday, April 16, 2018 Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore interview: Sports can't be anyone's fiefdom, we need an ecosystem to nurture raw talent

Also See