China bats for peaceful dialogue as North Korea test-fires third missile in three weeks
China pleaded again for dialogue on Monday to ease regional tensions after North Korea launched its latest missile test in defiance of UN sanctions.
Beijing: China pleaded again for dialogue on Monday to ease regional tensions after North Korea launched its latest missile test in defiance of UN sanctions.
The Chinese foreign ministry urged Pyongyang in a statement to refrain from activities that go against United Nations Security Council resolutions.
"We hope that related parties can remain calm and restrained, ease the tension on the peninsula, and bring the peninsula issue into the right track of peaceful dialogue again," it said.
It was the North's third ballistic missile test in as many weeks and the 12th this year — carried out in defiance of UN sanctions warnings and US threats of possible military action.
Following North Korea's test-firing earlier this month of what analysts said was its longest-range rocket yet, the UN Security Council vowed to push all countries to tighten sanctions against Pyongyang.
But China, the North's main trade partner and ally, has repeatedly called for a resumption of six-party talks that have been dormant since North Korea walked out on the negotiations in 2009.
Washington says it is willing to enter into talks with Pyongyang, but only if it halts its missile and nuclear tests.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
At a media briefing on Monday, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said health officials typically aim to achieve herd immunity by vaccination
China has been recently piling on pressure by sending its warplanes into Taiwan's air defence zone at an unprecedented frequency and crossing the so-called 'median line' of the Taiwan Strait
Donald Trump says Sudan to be removed from terror list if it fulfills $335 million compensation pledge
Sudan has agreed to pay compensation for victims of the 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, attacks conducted by Osama bin Laden’s Al-Qaeda network while he was living in Sudan