Chilean archbishop seeks dismissal of sex abuse cover-up charges

(Reuters) - Attorneys for Chile's most senior cleric said on Friday they will ask a judge to drop charges he covered up sexual abuse amid a scandal that has rocked the Chilean Roman Catholic Church and prompted a major civil investigation. The ongoing church sex abuse scandal in the Andean nation has prompted Pope Francis to open an investigation that has led to the resignations of several bishops and priests.

Reuters September 22, 2018 01:06:17 IST
Chilean archbishop seeks dismissal of sex abuse cover-up charges

Chilean archbishop seeks dismissal of sex abuse coverup charges

(Reuters) - Attorneys for Chile's most senior cleric said on Friday they will ask a judge to drop charges he covered up sexual abuse amid a scandal that has rocked the Chilean Roman Catholic Church and prompted a major civil investigation.

The ongoing church sex abuse scandal in the Andean nation has prompted Pope Francis to open an investigation that has led to the resignations of several bishops and priests.

Lawyers for Ricardo Ezzati, the archbishop of Santiago, have requested more time to prepare their case after Ezzati was originally due to be questioned by a civil prosecutor last month.

Ezzati's defense team, which includes lawyer Hugo Rivera, has determined that the archbishop's case does not qualify as a "cover-up," Rivera told reporters on Friday.

"After a long review of the background ... we are totally and absolutely convinced that this case does not meet the requirements established by law," Rivera said.

The lawyers said they are due to discuss a settlement to dismiss the charges with prosecutors before a judge in the central Chilean city of Rancagua on Oct. 5.

The sex abuse crisis has gripped Chile's Catholic Church since 2011, when Chilean priest Fernando Karadima was found guilty by the Vatican of abusing children in the 1970s and 1980s. The allegations prompted a probe that has led to the ousting of bishops and other priests.

All of Chile's 34 bishops offered to resign en masse in May after attending a meeting with the pope over allegations of a cover-up.

Earlier on Friday, Francis accepted the resignations of two more Chilean bishops, bringing the total to seven.

With the latest resignations, the pope has removed the leadership of about 20 percent of the Latin American country's dioceses.

(Reporting by Antonio de la Jara in Santiago; Writing by Dave Sherwood; Editing by Matthew Lewis)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Serbian leader fires back at Moscow after 'Basic Instinct' jibe
World

Serbian leader fires back at Moscow after 'Basic Instinct' jibe

MOSCOW/BELGRADE (Reuters) - Serbia's president accused Moscow on Sunday of stooping to "primitivism and vulgarity" in an attack on him, after Russia's foreign ministry spokeswoman compared him to the actor Sharon Stone in an explicit film scene. Serbia is Moscow's closest ally in the Balkans, but President Aleksandar Vucic has long annoyed Russia by seeking better ties with the West

Turkey's Erdogan, EU's Michel discuss East Med - CNN Turk
World

Turkey's Erdogan, EU's Michel discuss East Med - CNN Turk

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and European Council President Charles Michel discussed developments in the Eastern Mediterranean on Sunday, CNN Turk reported. NATO allies Turkey and Greece have been locked in a row over hydrocarbon exploration in the sea's disputed waters and the extent of their continental shelves. There was no official confirmation of the talks.

Jump in COVID-19 cases in Britain is 'concerning' - Hancock
World

Jump in COVID-19 cases in Britain is 'concerning' - Hancock

LONDON (Reuters) - The sharp rise in COVID-19 cases in Britain of 2,988 recorded on Sunday, the highest jump since May, was "concerning", Health Secretary Matt Hancock said, although he added that the majority were younger people. "The rise in the number of cases that we've seen today is concerning," he said. "The cases are predominately among younger people, but we've seen in other countries across the world and in Europe this sort of rise in the cases amongst younger people leading to a rise across the population as a whole." He said everybody had to follow social distancing rules to prevent the spread of infections.