ROME (Reuters) - A magnitude 5.3 quake struck the central Italian region of Molise on Thursday at a depth of 12 km, the U.S. Geological Survey said, forcing people to flee their homes but causing only minor damage.
The mayor of Montecilfone, the city near the epicentre of the quake, said people were scared and left their homes, but there was only minor damage.
"Some old walls that were already in bad shape have collapsed, but there's no major damage," Franco Pallotta said on SkyTG24. "People are alarmed. Thank God, I have no news of injuries."
The fire department confirmed that there had been no rescue calls from the area near the epicentre, noting that only slight damage to some buildings had been spotted. The Molise region's governor also said that only minor damage had been reported.
(Reporting by Steve Scherer; Editing by Alison Williams)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Aug 17, 2018 02:05:47 IST