Central African Republic court rejects ex-President Bozize's candidacy
By Antoine Rolland BANGUI (Reuters) - The top court in Central African Republic (CAR) rejected on Thursday the candidacy of former President Francois Bozize in a Dec. 27 election being held despite security concerns because of fighting between rival militias. Bozize planned to run against President Faustin-Archange Touadera.
By Antoine Rolland
BANGUI (Reuters) - The top court in Central African Republic (CAR) rejected on Thursday the candidacy of former President Francois Bozize in a Dec. 27 election being held despite security concerns because of fighting between rival militias.
Bozize planned to run against President Faustin-Archange Touadera. But the court said Bozize, 74, did not satisfy the "good morality" requirement for candidates because of an international warrant and U.N. sanctions against him for alleged assassinations, torture and other crimes.
The court validated the candidacies of Touadera and 16 others, according to the order read by the court's president.
Bozize, a former general who seized power in a 2003 coup and was overthrown in a 2013 rebellion, has denied the accusations against him. His party criticised the court's ruling in a statement, noting that he had not been convicted of any crimes, but called for "calm and restraint" from supporters.
CAR has experienced an acute humanitarian crisis since Bozize's overthrow, which led to fighting between mainly Muslim and Christian militias. Vast swathes of the country remain under militia control.
Touadera, who was prime minister under Bozize, was elected in 2016. He has worked to restore state institutions and signed an agreement with armed groups in 2019, but has failed to bring lasting peace.
Bozize returned to CAR late last year and announced his presidential candidacy in July, saying an experienced leader to restore peace.
Even though Touadera's government sought the warrant for Bozize's arrest, it has not sought to detain him since he returned to CAR.
(Reporting by Antoine Rolland; Writing by Aaron Ross; Editing by Alex Richardson, Timothy Heritage and Toby Chopra)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.