Barcelona: Catalonia's separatist leader Carles Puigdemont on Monday told the central government he wanted to "suspend" initiating steps towards independence for two months to start talks with.
His comments came as the deadline set by Madrid to clarify his intentions for the Spanish region came to a close.
But he immediately suspended that declaration pending talks with Madrid.
In a letter to Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy on Monday, Puigdemont wrote that his "suspension of the political mandate given by the polls on October 1 demonstrates our firm will to find a solution and not confrontation."
He added that "for the next two months, our main objective is to bring you to dialogue." But he did not clarify whether or not he had declared independence last week.
Madrid has previously said it refuses to negotiate on Catalan independence and has threatened to take drastic measures like suspending the region's autonomy if Puigdemont presses ahead with independence.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Oct 16, 2017 22:24:13 IST