Canadian serial killer pleads guilty to murder of eight people
By Tyler Choi TORONTO (Reuters) - A Canadian man charged with the murder of eight men who disappeared over several years pleaded guilty to the charges on Tuesday, police said, in a case that shook Toronto's gay community. Bruce McArthur, a 67-year-old landscaper, was arrested last January, and most of his victims, some of whose remains were found on a property where he worked, had ties to the Gay Village area in downtown Toronto.
By Tyler Choi
TORONTO (Reuters) - A Canadian man charged with the murder of eight men who disappeared over several years pleaded guilty to the charges on Tuesday, police said, in a case that shook Toronto's gay community.
Bruce McArthur, a 67-year-old landscaper, was arrested last January, and most of his victims, some of whose remains were found on a property where he worked, had ties to the Gay Village area in downtown Toronto.
Toronto police have been criticized by some in the LGBTQ community for taking years to solve disappearances dating back to at least 2010 in the Gay Village neighborhood.
Detective David Dickinson, who spoke to media at the Ontario Superior Court, said the motive for the killing was not yet known. Dickinson said sentencing would take place Feb 4 with victim-impact statements on the same day.
Police confirmed the names of the victims as Selim Esen, Andrew Kinsman, Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi, Dean Lisowick, Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam, Skandaraj Navaratnam and Abdulbasir Faizi.
McArthur will likely have the mandatory minimum of life imprisonment and be eligible for parole in 25 years, according to University of Ottawa Faculty of Law assistant professor, Kyle Kirkup.
"I hope that there will be some solace for the families and friends of the victims, and for the community more broadly,” said Rachel Giese, editorial director of the Daily Xtra, a Canadian news outlet for LGBTQ community.
"However, I don’t think this doesn’t end the questions about how this was handled by the police, and what will be done to make sure there will be true justice for the victims, for the families, and for the community.”
(Reporting by Tyler Choi; Editing by Bernadette Baum)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.