Canada judge dismisses assault charges against former Taliban hostage

(Reuters) - An Ottawa judge on Thursday dismissed all 19 charges against former Taliban hostage Joshua Boyle, who was charged with sexual assault of his estranged wife, Caitlan Coleman. Boyle denied all charges, and his lawyer alleged that Coleman was the abusive one in the relationship. Boyle's lawyer, Lawrence Greenspon, had argued there was enough reasonable doubt behind Coleman's account to make a guilty finding impossible

Reuters December 20, 2019 05:13:06 IST
Canada judge dismisses assault charges against former Taliban hostage

Canada judge dismisses assault charges against former Taliban hostage

(Reuters) - An Ottawa judge on Thursday dismissed all 19 charges against former Taliban hostage Joshua Boyle, who was charged with sexual assault of his estranged wife, Caitlan Coleman.

Boyle denied all charges, and his lawyer alleged that Coleman was the abusive one in the relationship.

Boyle's lawyer, Lawrence Greenspon, had argued there was enough reasonable doubt behind Coleman's account to make a guilty finding impossible. Judge Peter Doody said he did not find Boyle credible or Coleman reliable, and so could not make a finding of guilt.

"This was really, in large part, a 'he said, she said' - there was very, very little confirmatory evidence," Greenspon told Reuters. "And ultimately, (the judge) didn’t believe Caitlan and he had many doubts about Josh's testimony."

Coleman was "devastated" by the verdict, her lawyer Ian Carter told Reuters. "I think the case is an example of the challenges a complainant faces when they're making allegations of sexual assault or domestic violence, at least as it relates to the criminal courts," Carter said.

Boyle and Coleman were kidnapped in October 2012 while backpacking in Afghanistan. They spent five years in captivity, during which their three children were born.

Boyle said a fourth child had been murdered and his spouse raped after their capture by the Taliban-allied Haqqani network. The Taliban denied the accusations of rape and murder.

Boyle was arrested just months after the family returned to Canada.

Greenspon said his client will now seek to regain access to, and custody of, his children.

"He's spent five months in custody, we got him out on bail, he has been living with his parents with an electronic monitoring bracelet 24/7. So today's decision was a huge relief for him and his family."

(Reporting by Anna Mehler Paperny in Toronto; Editing by Matthew Lewis and Leslie Adler)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Snow-struck Madrid struggles with cleanup as severe frost grips Spain
World

Snow-struck Madrid struggles with cleanup as severe frost grips Spain

By Elena Rodriguez and Belén Carreño MADRID (Reuters) - Authorities struggled to clear ice and fallen trees from the streets of Madrid on Tuesday and temperatures in parts of Spain hit record lows after a snowstorm wrought havoc across the country at the weekend. Early jubilation at the historic snowfall, which saw skiers gliding through the streets and mass snowball fights, gave way to frustration as most public transport remained stalled and pedestrians avoided the icy streets. "You in Madrid are not ready for this," said Demetrio, a Ukrainian living in Madrid, who did not give his last name.

Trump disavows any responsibility for his supporters' Jan. 6 attack
World

Trump disavows any responsibility for his supporters' Jan. 6 attack

By Steve Holland and Andrea Shalal JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md./WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump, facing impeachment on a charge of "incitement of insurrection" on Tuesday disavowed responsibility for his supporters' violent invasion of the U.S. Capitol last week and said his remarks before the siege were appropriate.

Renault and Plug Power to develop fuel-cell commerical vehicles
News & Analysis

Renault and Plug Power to develop fuel-cell commerical vehicles

PARIS (Reuters) - French carmaker Renault and U.S. hydrogen specialist Plug Power have joined forces to develop hydrogen-powered light commercial vehicles, they said on Tuesday. The companies have signed a memorandum of understanding to launch a France-based 50-50 joint venture by the end of the first half of 2021, targeting more than 30% share of the fuel cell-powered light commercial vehicle market in Europe, their joint statement said