Canada detects first two cases of new coronavirus variant in Ontario, say health officials
'The cases are a couple from Durham with no known travel history, exposure, or high-risk contacts,' Barbara Yaffe, acting chief medical officer for Ontario, said in a statement
Montreal: The first two cases of a particularly infectious coronavirus variant that recently emerged in Britain have been confirmed in Canada, health authorities said Saturday.
"The cases are a couple from Durham with no known travel history, exposure, or high-risk contacts," Barbara Yaffe, acting chief medical officer for Ontario, said in a statement.
The couple has been placed in isolation, according to the statement, the same day that Ontario reimposed a lockdown for several weeks due to a spike in COVID-19 cases in the province since early December.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday his country would prolong its suspension of passenger flights from the UK until 6 January in light of the coronavirus strain sweeping Britain.
The discovery of two cases in Ontario "further reinforces the need for Ontarians to stay home as much as possible and continue to follow all public health advice, including the provincewide shutdown measures beginning today," said Yaffe.
The lockdown in Ontario, Canada's most populous province at some 14 million residents, will last 28 days in the south of the region and 14 days in the north.
Private indoor gatherings outside the family circle are banned. Essential businesses, such as grocery stores and pharmacies, will be allowed to remain open, but restaurants will be limited to take-out or delivery service.
As of Saturday, Canada had recorded more than 534,000 cases of COVID-19 with more than 14,700 deaths.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
WHO says its China mission seeking answers about COVID-19's origins, not looking for someone to blame
The WHO had expected the investigation to start last week, but Beijing suddenly announced a last-minute hold-up over entry permission
At least 1,03,00,838 patients have recuperated so far, pushing the national recovery rate to 96.81 percent, said the health ministry on Saturday
An Oral History of the COVID-19 Crisis: 'The first thing we witnessed in the isolation ward, was death'
This account is part of Firstpost’s Oral History Project of the COVID-19 Crisis in India. The Oral History Project aims to be an ongoing compendium of individual experiences of the pandemic, with a focus on one significant day in our respondents’ lives during this time.