Canada apologises to men tortured in Syria, agrees settlement | Reuters

OTTAWA Canada on Friday formally apologised to three Canadian men of Arab descent who said they had been tortured in Syria and blamed Canadian secret services for their ordeal.The Liberal government also said it had agreed a cash settlement with Ahmad El Maati, Abdullah Almalki and Muayyed Nureddin, who had pressed their case for a decade.All three men were arrested separately when entering Syria between 2001 and 2003. They say they were tortured and interrogated, and some of the questions they were asked were based on information that could only have come from Canada. In a statement, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale and Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland apologised to the three 'for any role Canadian officials may have played in relation to their detention and mistreatment abroad and any resulting harm'.Goodale spokesman Dan Brien declined to answer how much the men would be paid.

Reuters March 18, 2017 07:00:07 IST
Canada apologises to men tortured in Syria, agrees settlement
| Reuters

Canada apologises to men tortured in Syria agrees settlement
 Reuters

OTTAWA Canada on Friday formally apologised to three Canadian men of Arab descent who said they had been tortured in Syria and blamed Canadian secret services for their ordeal.The Liberal government also said it had agreed a cash settlement with Ahmad El Maati, Abdullah Almalki and Muayyed Nureddin, who had pressed their case for a decade.All three men were arrested separately when entering Syria between 2001 and 2003. They say they were tortured and interrogated, and some of the questions they were asked were based on information that could only have come from Canada.

In a statement, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale and Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland apologised to the three "for any role Canadian officials may have played in relation to their detention and mistreatment abroad and any resulting harm".Goodale spokesman Dan Brien declined to answer how much the men would be paid. The Toronto Star newspaper, which reported in February that a settlement was imminent, said the deal would run into millions of Canadian dollars.

Amnesty International said the settlement and apology would "send a strong message that what was done to them cannot and must not ever be done to others".

Toronto law firm Stockwoods, which represented the men, said in a statement the three men and their families "are pleased that their long legal ordeal is over".An official inquiry into the case concluded in 2008 that Canadian security services most likely contributed indirectly to the trio's torture.Ottawa ordered the probe after an earlier inquiry found Canadian Maher Arar had been deported to Syria in 2002 by the United States, and tortured there, after what the inquiry said was false identification of him as an Islamic extremist by Canadian police. (Reporting by David Ljunggren; Editing by Bernard Orr)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.