Cameroon army killed civilians in village raid, witnesses and lawyer say

By Edward McAllister DAKAR (Reuters) - Cameroonian soldiers opened fire on villagers during a weekend raid in the country's southwest, killing up to nine people, including civilians, and injuring others, witnesses, health workers and a human rights lawyer said on Wednesday. An army spokesman denied there were civilian casualties during the incident on Sunday in the village of Mautu in the South West region, home to a separatist insurgency.

Reuters January 14, 2021 02:10:52 IST
Cameroon army killed civilians in village raid, witnesses and lawyer say

Cameroon army killed civilians in village raid witnesses and lawyer say

By Edward McAllister

DAKAR (Reuters) - Cameroonian soldiers opened fire on villagers during a weekend raid in the country's southwest, killing up to nine people, including civilians, and injuring others, witnesses, health workers and a human rights lawyer said on Wednesday.

An army spokesman denied there were civilian casualties during the incident on Sunday in the village of Mautu in the South West region, home to a separatist insurgency. He called the accusation "propaganda".

For four years the army has clashed with Anglophone separatist fighters among the forests and cocoa farms of western Cameroon. Over 3,000 people have died in the violence, which has intensified since the start of this year.

Sunday's attack was described to Reuters by three villagers who said they fled into nearby cocoa plantations or cowered at home while soldiers rifled through their belongings.

They said they saw nine dead people, including a child and an old woman. None of the dead were separatist fighters, they said.

Medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said it was treating four people from the village, all with gunshot wounds: a young child, two elderly patients and a young woman.

"This incident is the latest in a significant upsurge in violence since the year began," said Gisa Kohler, MSF's emergency coordinator in South West Cameroon.

Unverified videos shared by sources with knowledge of the attack showed several dead bodies with gunshot wounds, including a woman and a child laid out on a bamboo stretcher, as well as several young men.

"This is an unconventional conflict," said human rights lawyer Agbor Balla, who said he had confirmed at least eight deaths in Mautu on Sunday, based on his own sources.

"Civilians were killed. It was done by the military. We don't know if others killed were separatists."

In a statement on Monday, the military said it was conducting a raid on separatist positions when it came under fire and had killed what it labelled "terrorists". It did not say how many died.

In response to Reuters questions about the incident, army spokesman Atonfack Guemo on Wednesday dismissed the witness accounts.

"Small terrorist groups and their foreign supporters have engaged in a battle of disinformation. We will not give in," he said.

The army has struggled to uproot the insurgency, which is made up of dozens of small armed groups and has become a thorn in the side of President Paul Biya's 40-year rule.

BULLETS FLYING

The violence in Mautu comes as three soldiers face trial for their alleged involvement in the killing of 21 civilians last year in a village in the North West region.

The separatists have committed their own abuses, including attacks on police and the army, and school kidnappings.

Louis, a cocoa farmer, said he was sitting outside when the soldiers opened fire in Mautu.

"Bullets were flying everywhere," said Louis, who like other witnesses did not want to use his last name for fear of reprisal. "They chased me into the bushes and kept shooting."

Fellow resident Enow said he was in a church meeting when the gunfire began. He ran into the surrounding bushes and hid.

Not everyone got away. One 60-year-old farmer was at home when soldiers broke down his door searching for fighters and weapons. They found neither, and smashed his television, he said.

None of the witnesses said they saw separatists that day. They all said that a woman and her young granddaughter were killed by the military.

"They were people I knew," the farmer said. "What have they done that they can be killed in this way?"

(Reporting by Edward McAllister, Editing by Joe Bavier and Rosalba O'Brien)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Snow-struck Madrid struggles with cleanup as severe frost grips Spain
World

Snow-struck Madrid struggles with cleanup as severe frost grips Spain

By Elena Rodriguez and Belén Carreño MADRID (Reuters) - Authorities struggled to clear ice and fallen trees from the streets of Madrid on Tuesday and temperatures in parts of Spain hit record lows after a snowstorm wrought havoc across the country at the weekend. Early jubilation at the historic snowfall, which saw skiers gliding through the streets and mass snowball fights, gave way to frustration as most public transport remained stalled and pedestrians avoided the icy streets. "You in Madrid are not ready for this," said Demetrio, a Ukrainian living in Madrid, who did not give his last name.

Trump disavows any responsibility for his supporters' Jan. 6 attack
World

Trump disavows any responsibility for his supporters' Jan. 6 attack

By Steve Holland and Andrea Shalal JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md./WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump, facing impeachment on a charge of "incitement of insurrection" on Tuesday disavowed responsibility for his supporters' violent invasion of the U.S. Capitol last week and said his remarks before the siege were appropriate.

Renault and Plug Power to develop fuel-cell commerical vehicles
News & Analysis

Renault and Plug Power to develop fuel-cell commerical vehicles

PARIS (Reuters) - French carmaker Renault and U.S. hydrogen specialist Plug Power have joined forces to develop hydrogen-powered light commercial vehicles, they said on Tuesday. The companies have signed a memorandum of understanding to launch a France-based 50-50 joint venture by the end of the first half of 2021, targeting more than 30% share of the fuel cell-powered light commercial vehicle market in Europe, their joint statement said