Brussels 'COVID boys' take on mission to police pandemic rules
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Two Belgian men left unemployed by the coronavirus pandemic have reinvented themselves as the 'COVID boys', disinfecting public surfaces and patrolling Brussels to encourage social distancing and mask wearing. Edouard de Vos, 27, and Oscar Briou, 26, have stationed themselves in the centre of the Belgian capital dressed in chemical protection suits and gloves and armed with disinfectant, tape measures, sponges and a touch of humour.
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Two Belgian men left unemployed by the coronavirus pandemic have reinvented themselves as the "COVID boys", disinfecting public surfaces and patrolling Brussels to encourage social distancing and mask wearing.
Edouard de Vos, 27, and Oscar Briou, 26, have stationed themselves in the centre of the Belgian capital dressed in chemical protection suits and gloves and armed with disinfectant, tape measures, sponges and a touch of humour.
Both lost their jobs in Belgium's initial lockdown from March.
"We spent the first lockdown drinking and doing random things. At one point something happened to us and things became clear," de Vos, who had been working in a soap factory, told Reuters television. "And at this point, we started organising ourselves."
The pair advise a couple with food that they should sit or stand to the side rather than walk while eating and remind passers-by that their masks, which are mandatory throughout Brussels, need to cover their noses.
"Yes, you're right. It's true. Sometimes we do forget," one woman replies.
De Vos, 27, and Briou, 26, wipe down the screens of parking meters, spray disinfectant on the hands of a pedestrian after he adjusts his mask. They are also training two new recruits.
Brussels police, asked to comment on the duo's activities, said: "Offering advice is fine, but it is better coming from official channels".
Belgium is among the European countries hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, with more than 20,000 fatalities and nearly 700,000 confirmed cases.
(Reporting by Bart Biesemans and Clement Rossignol, writing by Philip Blenkinsop; Editing by Angus MacSwan)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply
By Raphael Satter and Christopher Bing WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A China-linked cyberespionage group has been remotely plundering email inboxes using freshly discovered flaws in Microsoft mail server software, the company and outside researchers said on Tuesday - an example of how commonly used programs can be exploited to cast a wide net online. In a blog post, Microsoft said the hacking campaign made use of four previously undetected vulnerabilities in different versions of the software and was the work of a group it dubs HAFNIUM, which it described as a state-sponsored entity operating out of China
MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Rio Tinto Ltd said on Wednesday its chair and a board director would step down, bowing to investor pressure over the destruction of two ancient Aboriginal rock shelters for an iron ore mine last year in Western Australia. Simon Thompson will step down as chairman following next year's annual general meetings, while non-executive director Michael L'Estrange will also retire from the board after this year's meetings, Rio said in a statement. "I am ultimately accountable for the failings that led to this tragic event," Thompson said in the statement on Wednesday.
By William Schomberg LONDON (Reuters) - Finance minister Rishi Sunak will promise on Wednesday to do "whatever it takes", including a five-month extension of Britain's huge jobs rescue plan, to steer the economy through what he hopes will be the final months of COVID restrictions. Sunak has already racked up Britain's highest borrowing since World War Two and will turn to the bond markets again in his budget speech, saying the task of fixing the public finances will only begin once a recovery is in sight