British woman killed, three other people kidnapped in northern Nigeria

By Garba Muhammad KADUNA (Reuters) - Kidnappers in Nigeria killed a British woman and a Nigerian man, and abducted three others in the northern city of Kaduna, local police and the British High Commission said on Sunday. Kidnappings are rampant in Nigeria, where both locals and foreigners are targeted — mostly for ransom

Reuters April 22, 2019 01:05:35 IST
British woman killed, three other people kidnapped in northern Nigeria

British woman killed three other people kidnapped in northern Nigeria

By Garba Muhammad

KADUNA (Reuters) - Kidnappers in Nigeria killed a British woman and a Nigerian man, and abducted three others in the northern city of Kaduna, local police and the British High Commission said on Sunday.

Kidnappings are rampant in Nigeria, where both locals and foreigners are targeted — mostly for ransom.

The woman traveled from Lagos as a tourist and was attending a party before the incident happened, police said.

The British High Commission named the woman as Faye Mooney and said it was aware of the incident that happened late on Friday but added it would not speculate on the motive or nature of attack.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the incident and the kidnappers have yet to be identified, police said.

Mooney was employed in Nigeria by a non-governmental organisation called Mercy Corps. Her next of kin have been notified, the British High Commission said.

"Some suspected kidnappers armed with dangerous weapons gained entry into a recreational resort called Kajuru Castle in Kajuru local government area shooting sporadically and in the process shot dead two persons, including an expatriate lady, and took away three others," Kaduna state police spokesman said.

The police did not name the other person killed.

Northern Nigeria is plagued by a Boko Haram and Islamic State insurgency as well as clashes between farmers and herders in which hundreds have died.

"We are engaging with the Nigerian authorities, and we understand an investigation is underway," the British High Commission said in a statement.

President Muhammadu Buhari won re-election for another four years in February, pledging to improve security in Nigeria, boost economic growth and fight corruption.

In 2014, more than 270 schoolgirls were abducted from the town of Chibok propelling the Boko Haram insurgency into the spotlight, prompting the global #BringBackOurGirls campaign. Some of the girls remain in captivity five year later.

(Reporting by Garba Muhammad and Paul Carsten in Abuja; Additional reporting by Ardo Hazzad and Alexis Akwagyiram in Lagos; Writing by Chijioke Ohuocha; editing by Emelia Sithole-Matarise)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

Rockets hit near U.S. forces and contractors in Iraq in separate attacks -officials
World

Rockets hit near U.S. forces and contractors in Iraq in separate attacks -officials

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Rockets hit near U.S. forces and contractors in Iraq on Wednesday, including an air base north of Baghdad and a military base at Baghdad International Airport, the Iraqi army and security officials said. The army reported at least three rockets hit Balad air base, where U.S

Italian police probe subcontractor to Burberry over labour exploitation -warrant
World

Italian police probe subcontractor to Burberry over labour exploitation -warrant

By Silvia Ognibene and Silvia Aloisi FLORENCE, Italy (Reuters) -Italian police have arrested a Chinese couple accused of running a leather goods business which exploited immigrant workers it employed to make handbags for a Burberry supplier, according to an arrest warrant seen by Reuters. Tax police in Florence said in a statement that the two Chinese nationals were arrested on Wednesday as part of an investigation into alleged labour exploitation and tax fraud and that restrictive measures had been imposed on two other family members, including a ban on them leaving Italy

U.S. blacklists four Nicaraguans, including Ortega's daughter
World

U.S. blacklists four Nicaraguans, including Ortega's daughter

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Wednesday blacklisted four Nicaraguans, including a daughter of President Daniel Ortega, as Washington warned it would continue to use diplomatic and economic tools against members of the leftist government engaged in repression. The U.S. State Department called on Ortega to release detained presidential candidates as well as other civil society and opposition leaders arrested over the past week in what Washington called "an increasing wave of repression." "There are costs for those who are complicit in the regime's repression.