Brazil to extend probe into Vale dam disaster into early 2020 - official

By Jake Spring BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazil's mining secretary said on Friday he expects the sector's main regulator to extend its investigation until January 2020 into the causes of the Vale SA mining dam collapse that killed at least 240 people.

Reuters July 20, 2019 06:06:16 IST
Brazil to extend probe into Vale dam disaster into early 2020 - official

Brazil to extend probe into Vale dam disaster into early 2020  official

By Jake Spring

BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazil's mining secretary said on Friday he expects the sector's main regulator to extend its investigation until January 2020 into the causes of the Vale SA mining dam collapse that killed at least 240 people.

Secretary Alexandre Vidigal de Oliveira of the Mines and Energy Ministry had ordered the National Mining Agency (ANM) to investigate the disaster in February, a process that ordinarily would have expired in August.

But that deadline is now likely to be extended for another 180 days, he said in an interview, citing the probe's complexity and the difficulty in accessing the disaster area, which has also been the site of a major operation to retrieve the dead.

The dam containing mining waste known as tailings ruptured on Jan. 25 at a Vale iron ore mining facility in Brumadinho, a town in Minas Gerais state, unleashing a torrent of sludge that buried people and buildings in its wake.

The cause of the rupture was "without a doubt" a process called liquefaction, Oliveira said, in which water seeps into the dam - itself often made of dried mining waste - and causes the solid material to lose its strength. But many aspects of the disaster remain unclear, including how the liquefaction occurred.

"Why did the equipment, the monitoring, not identify this bigger quantity (of water) than is allowed? Because everything led to the belief that it all was within the standards," Oliveira told Reuters. "It's important to know the real truth of what happened."

The ANM probe is looking into violations of mining and other administrative rules, while police are separately investigating criminal wrongdoing.

A Senate investigation that concluded earlier this month recommended a series of measures aimed at preventing further disasters, expanding the list of environmental crimes and instituting a tax on miners of up to 40%.

Industry analysts have said such severe changes are unlikely, but that a more moderate tax rise and additional safety requirements are possible.

Oliveira said the Senate committee's findings must be respected, although it was uncertain whether the government would adopt the same positions. The government needs more time to analyse them, he said.

The same is true for so-called dry processing, mining waste systems, which avoid the need for tailings dams.

"Could it be viable for all mining projects? In theory, yes," he surmised.

But regulators still must analyse what safety, environmental and other measures surrounding the waste created in dry processing to know if such a system can be viable.

(Reporting by Jake Spring; editing by Christian Plumb and G Crosse)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.