Brazil suspends three more meat plants in bribery scandal | Reuters

By Alberto Alerigi | SAO PAULO SAO PAULO Brazil's Agriculture Ministry said on Monday it ordered three more food processing facilities to suspend production amid an investigation into alleged corruption of inspectors and unsanitary conditions in the world's biggest meat producer.That brings to six the number of food processing plants that have been ordered temporarily closed by Brazilian authorities. A total of 21 plants are included in a police investigation and are not allowed to export any product, although they may still produce for the domestic market. All three plants ordered closed on Monday are in Parana state, where the scandal has been centered.

Reuters March 28, 2017 03:15:05 IST
Brazil suspends three more meat plants in bribery scandal
| Reuters

Brazil suspends three more meat plants in bribery scandal
 Reuters

By Alberto Alerigi
| SAO PAULO

SAO PAULO Brazil's Agriculture Ministry said on Monday it ordered three more food processing facilities to suspend production amid an investigation into alleged corruption of inspectors and unsanitary conditions in the world's biggest meat producer.That brings to six the number of food processing plants that have been ordered temporarily closed by Brazilian authorities. A total of 21 plants are included in a police investigation and are not allowed to export any product, although they may still produce for the domestic market. All three plants ordered closed on Monday are in Parana state, where the scandal has been centered. They include units of Souza Ramos, Industria de Laticinios SSPMA and Fabrica de Farinha de Carnes Castro. Several major meat importers issued bans after Brazilian federal police on March 17 unveiled an investigation into alleged payments to government health officials by meat processing companies to forgo inspections and ignore abuses, code-named "Operation Weak Flesh."

Agriculture Minister Blairo Maggi said investigators have not found any meat product that could harm the health of consumers in Brazil or abroad. But he acknowledged at a news conference that Brazil will have an uphill battle to recover its market share after confidence in its meat was undermined by the corruption scandal.The investigation hit hard at one of the few strong sectors in Brazil's economy, which is experiencing its worst recession on record.

But on Saturday, China, the biggest buyer of Brazilian meats, along with Egypt and Chile, lifted import suspensions, bringing hope of an end to the crisis.Maggi said he hoped to convince Hong Kong, Brazil's No. 2 market, to follow China and lift its full ban on Brazilian meat imports.

The European Union has maintained a partial ban on products from the 21 meatpacking plants under investigation, which, in any case, are currently barred from exporting.Meat is Brazil's third biggest export after soy and iron ore with foreign sales of almost $14 billion last year in beef, chicken, pork and other products. (Additional reporting by Anthony Boadle in Brasilia; Writing by Brad Brooks; Editing by Daniel Flynn and Leslie Adler)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.