Chinese Engineer among the three injured in Karachi bomb blast

PTI May 30, 2016 16:06:27 IST
Chinese Engineer among the three injured in Karachi bomb blast

Karachi: A Chinese engineer was among the three people injured on Monday when suspected militants triggered a remote-controlled explosion in the Pakistani city of Karachi, with pamphlets recovered from the site denouncing "foreign control" over Sindh's natural resources.

Chinese Engineer among the three injured in Karachi bomb blast

Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. AFP

The bomb was planted on the green belt in Gulshan-i-Hadeed area of Karachi and exploded as the vehicle of the Chinese engineer was just passing by it. Senior police officer Rao Anwar confirmed the attack.

"We have recovered a pamphlet in Sindhi from the site of the blast denouncing foreign control over Sindh's natural resources," he said.

Finche, a Chinese national and his driver Tariq Aziz, 25, were among those injured. The identity of the third victim was not known.

Anwar said 500 grams of explosives were used in the bombing. Police have launched search operation in the area.

No group has claimed responsibility of the attack so far but militants from different groups are active in Pakistan's commercial-hub and its most populous city Karachi, which is also the hotbed of ethnic violence.

Hundreds of Chinese workers and engineers are engaged in different development projects in Pakistan including the USD 46 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) launched last year and the Thar coal power project.

China has earlier asked Pakistan to beef up security for its nationals engaged in various development projects in the country.

In a meeting with Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan in October last year, Chinese ambassador Sun Weidong had demanded fool-proof security to all Chinese workers associated with the CPEC.

Following the meeting, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had reviewed the security situation in November and assured that the government will provide full security to Chinese workers in Pakistan.

Updated Date:

also read

Boris Johnson makes U-turn, says will go into quarantine for 10 days after COVID-19 contact
World

Boris Johnson makes U-turn, says will go into quarantine for 10 days after COVID-19 contact

Johnson's 10 Downing St. office said Sunday that the prime minister and treasury chief Rishi Sunak were both alerted overnight by England's test-and-trace phone app

Mann Ki Baat radio programme has generated over Rs 30.80 crore revenue since 2014, says Centre
India

Mann Ki Baat radio programme has generated over Rs 30.80 crore revenue since 2014, says Centre

The ''Mann Ki Baat'' programme is broadcast at 11 am on the last Sunday of each month through various channels of the All India Radio and Doordarshan