Bangladesh opposition leader accused of Italian's murder in attack claimed by Islamic State

Seven persons, including an opposition party leader, were on Tuesday indicted in a case filed into the killing of Italian citizen Cesare Tavella in Dhaka's diplomatic enclave Gulshan on 28 September last year in an attack claimed by the Islamic State (IS).

IANS October 25, 2016 19:24:19 IST
Bangladesh opposition leader accused of Italian's murder in attack claimed by Islamic State

Dhaka: Seven persons, including an opposition party leader, were on Tuesday indicted in a case filed into the killing of Italian citizen Cesare Tavella in Dhaka's diplomatic enclave Gulshan on 28 September last year in an attack claimed by the Islamic State (IS).

Justice Kamrul Hossain Mollah of Metropolitan Sessions Judge's Court in Dhaka fixed 24 November for starting the trial in the case, Xinhua news agency reported.

Bangladesh opposition leader accused of Italians murder in attack claimed by Islamic State

Representational image. AFP

According to the charge sheet, M.A. Qayyum, a leader of former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia's Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), planned Tavella's murder as part of a conspiracy to kill any white-skinned foreigner in a bid to create trouble for the government.

Qayyum's brother M.A. Matin coordinated the murder and hired three assassins to kill a "white man", the charge sheet said.

Two accused, including Qayyum, are currently absconding.

The remaining five men, including Matin, who are now behind bars, on Tuesday pleaded not guilty and demanded justice after the charges against them were read out.

Bangladesh police have ruled out any IS link to the foreigner's killing.

A BNP spokesman, who did not wish to be named, has termed the case against Qayyum and his brother as "false and politically motivated".

Updated Date:

also read

Taliban say they won't work with US to contain IS activities in Afghanistan
World

Taliban say they won't work with US to contain IS activities in Afghanistan

Taliban political spokesman Suhail Shaheen said they want to tackle the IS issue independently. The Taliban, however, have signaled flexibility regarding evacuations of those stranded

Afghan mosque attack: IS claims responsibility for suicide bombing in Kunduz; at least 55 dead
World

Afghan mosque attack: IS claims responsibility for suicide bombing in Kunduz; at least 55 dead

Scores more victims from the minority Shia community were wounded in the blast that looked like an attempt to further destabilise Afghanistan in the wake of the Taliban takeover

Islamic State takes responsibility of mosque bombing in south Afghanistan
World

Islamic State takes responsibility of mosque bombing in south Afghanistan

At least 47 people were killed and several injured in a suicide bombing at a Shia mosque in Kandahar on Friday.