Australia's third-largest city to enter three-day COVID-19 lockdown
By Renju Jose SYDNEY (Reuters) -Australian authorities announced a snap three-day COVID-19 lockdown in the northern city of Brisbane from Monday afternoon, as they attempt to stamp out an outbreak of the virulent UK variant of the virus. About 2 million people in the city, the country's third largest and the capital of Queensland state, will be required to stay home from 5 p.m
COVID-19 lockdown" src="https://images.firstpost.com/wp-content/themes/firstpost/images/220x220_Watermark.jpg" alt="Australias thirdlargest city to enter threeday COVID19 lockdown" width="300" height="225" />
By Renju Jose
SYDNEY (Reuters) -Australian authorities announced a snap three-day COVID-19 lockdown in the northern city of Brisbane from Monday afternoon, as they attempt to stamp out an outbreak of the virulent UK variant of the virus.
About 2 million people in the city, the country's third largest and the capital of Queensland state, will be required to stay home from 5 p.m. local time except for essential work, healthcare, grocery shopping or exercise.
"I know this is a really big call and I know it is really tough," Queensland state Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told reporters. "We have Easter coming up, we have school holidays coming up but let's do it now and let's do it right."
State officials reported four new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Monday, taking the cluster of cases linked to the UK variant to seven. The first case in the new cluster was reported on Friday.
Palaszczuk pointed to the success of a snap three-day lockdown in Brisbane in early January after the discovery of a single case of the UK variant.
"That worked very well when we did that last time," she said.
Snap lockdowns, social distancing rules and speedy contact tracing systems have helped Australia to contain fresh clusters in recent months. It has reported just over 29,200 cases and 909 deaths since the pandemic began.
The Brisbane lockdown is currently scheduled to finish just before the Easter long weekend and school term break in Australia, usually a popular time for people to travel.
Schools in the city will be closed from Tuesday, funerals capped at 20 people and weddings limited to 10 people. The number of international travellers - largely returning citizens and permanent residents - allowed into Brisbane has been halved.
Virgin Australia said all its domestic flights into the city were operating as normal on Monday but schedules could be changed in response to demand.
(Reporting by Renju Jose; Editing by Himani Sarkar and Jane Wardell)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
CARACAS (Reuters) - Human rights groups from Venezuela and Colombia on Wednesday called on the United Nations to appoint a special envoy to address the humanitarian crisis caused by clashes between Venezuelan troops and Colombian armed groups near the countries' border. Colombian officials estimate that some 4,000 people have fled Venezuela for Colombia since March 21 following a military offensive in Venezuela's Apure state.
By Anton Zverev and Andrew Osborn MOSCOW (Reuters) - Jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny went on hunger strike on Wednesday in an attempt to force the prison holding him outside Moscow to provide him with proper medical care for what he said was acute pain in his back and legs. The fate of Navalny, one of President Vladimir Putin's most prominent critics, is in focus after he said last week that being woken up by a guard every hour during the night amounted to torture and that his appeals for medical treatment had been ignored. In a handwritten letter addressed to the governor of his prison which was posted to social media by his team on Wednesday, Navalny said daily requests for a doctor of his choice to examine him and for proper medicine had been ignored
By Stephanie van den Berg THE HAGUE (Reuters) - The International Criminal Court on Wednesday upheld its 2019 acquittal of former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo on charges of crimes against humanity during post-election violence and ordered all conditions of his release be removed. The decision may open the way for Gbagbo, 75, who has been living in Belgium, to return to Ivory Coast