At least 20 people have lost their lives and several more remain unaccounted for after a boat overturned on Lake Maï-Ndombe in north-western Congo, according to local residents.
The vessel, which was carrying passengers to the capital city, Kinshasa, included a newly ordained Catholic deacon, the regional Diocese said in a statement on Friday.
Emmanuel Bola, a resident of Inongo town near the lake, told The Associated Press on Saturday that the boat had departed from Kiri and capsized between Bobeni and Lobeke villages around 8 p.m. on Thursday.
The Congolese government has yet to issue an official death toll. Kevani Nkoso, governor of Maï-Ndombe province, told national television that authorities are “awaiting reports from field teams to confirm the number of fatalities and survivors.”
Such accidents are becoming more frequent in the region, as many people choose to travel on inexpensive wooden boats instead of the limited road network. These vessels are often overcrowded, rarely carry life jackets, and many operate at night, complicating rescue efforts and leaving some victims missing.
Earlier this month, another boat sinking resulted in 64 people being reported missing. In September, two separate boating incidents in north-western Congo claimed at least 193 lives, which state media attributed to overloading and night-time navigation.
With inputs from agencies


)

)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)



