At least 20 dead in bomb blast outside Afghan Supreme Court | Reuters

By Mirwais Harooni | KABUL KABUL At least 20 people were killed on Tuesday in a bomb blast outside the Supreme Court in the centre of the Afghan capital, government officials said, in what appeared to be the latest in a series of attacks on the judiciary.The Ministry of Public Health said at least 20 people were killed, while 41 wounded were taken to Kabul hospitals.There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, in which police said an apparent suicide bomber targeted Supreme Court employees leaving their offices at the end of the working day.'When I heard a bang I rushed toward the Supreme Court's parking lot to find my brother who works there,' said witness Dad Khuda, adding that he had found his brother alive. 'Unfortunately, several people were killed and wounded.'Reuters reporters at the scene saw blood stains on the street and ambulances leaving the area.The bomber appeared to have entered an area where guards were performing security checks when he detonated the explosives. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack as a 'crime against humanity and an unforgivable act.'COURTS AND JUDGES TARGETED The Supreme Court was the target of a bomb in June, 2013, when a suicide bomber drove an explosives-packed car into a bus carrying court employees, including judges.The Taliban claimed responsibility for that attack, and since then security near the court has been increased with large concrete blast walls.In 2015 a Taliban bomber killed five prosecutors from the Attorney General's office in Kabul, and last year Taliban gunmen stormed a legal office in Logar province, killing seven people, including two prosecutors.The same militant group killed four people at a provincial courthouse in Ghazni in 2016.

Reuters February 07, 2017 22:06:48 IST
At least 20 dead in bomb blast outside Afghan Supreme Court
| Reuters

At least 20 dead in bomb blast outside Afghan Supreme Court
 Reuters

By Mirwais Harooni
| KABUL

KABUL At least 20 people were killed on Tuesday in a bomb blast outside the Supreme Court in the centre of the Afghan capital, government officials said, in what appeared to be the latest in a series of attacks on the judiciary.The Ministry of Public Health said at least 20 people were killed, while 41 wounded were taken to Kabul hospitals.There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, in which police said an apparent suicide bomber targeted Supreme Court employees leaving their offices at the end of the working day."When I heard a bang I rushed toward the Supreme Court's parking lot to find my brother who works there," said witness Dad Khuda, adding that he had found his brother alive. "Unfortunately, several people were killed and wounded."Reuters reporters at the scene saw blood stains on the street and ambulances leaving the area.The bomber appeared to have entered an area where guards were performing security checks when he detonated the explosives.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack as a "crime against humanity and an unforgivable act."COURTS AND JUDGES TARGETED

The Supreme Court was the target of a bomb in June, 2013, when a suicide bomber drove an explosives-packed car into a bus carrying court employees, including judges.The Taliban claimed responsibility for that attack, and since then security near the court has been increased with large concrete blast walls.In 2015 a Taliban bomber killed five prosecutors from the Attorney General's office in Kabul, and last year Taliban gunmen stormed a legal office in Logar province, killing seven people, including two prosecutors.The same militant group killed four people at a provincial courthouse in Ghazni in 2016.

Last month, bombers killed more than 30 people and wounded about 70 in twin blasts in a crowded area of Kabul during the afternoon rush hour.The Islamist militant Taliban, fighting to oust foreign forces and bring down the U.S.-backed government, claimed responsibility for that Jan. 10 attack.Afghan government forces control no more than two-thirds of national territory, and have struggled to contain the insurgency since the bulk of NATO soldiers withdrew at the end of 2014.Several thousand foreign troops, most of them Americans, remain in training and counter-terrorism roles. (Reporting by Mirwais Harooni; Writing by Josh Smith; Editing by Robert Birsel and Mike Collett-White)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.