American troop levels in Afghanistan 'are being looked at again': Nato
The Nato alliance agreed on Wednesday to hold onto its broad geographic layout of bases in Afghanistan, a move that could make it easier for the United States to keep more troops there as Kabul struggles with a resurgent Taliban threat.
Belgium: The Nato alliance agreed on Wednesday to hold onto its broad geographic layout of bases in Afghanistan, a move that could make it easier for the United States to keep more troops there as Kabul struggles with a resurgent Taliban threat.
President Barack Obama has planned to slash the number of US forces in Afghanistan from about 9,800 to 5,500 before he leaves office in 2017, despite calls from former commanders and envoys to halt the drawdown.
Nato defence ministers gathered in Brussels signalled a willingness to stay, with Britain's Michael Fallon saying flatly: "This is the wrong time to walk away from Afghanistan."
He warned any collapse of the country would send thousands more migrants heading to Europe at a time when the continent already faces uncontrolled migration flows.
Fallon told reporters that US Defense Secretary Ash Carter told the ministers during closed-door talks that America troop levels "are being looked at again".
Carter declined to confirm that however, telling a news conference it was "not a topic of discussion" and saying only that Obama would be willing to consider security conditions in Afghanistan and their impact on force levels later in the year.
Nato Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said several nations on Wednesday committed to a troop presence next year in Afghanistan, underscoring a theme likely to figure prominently at next month's Nato summit in Warsaw.
"With a regional presence, we will continue to advise, train and assist the Afghan national forces because we are very committed to continuing to support Afghans," Stoltenberg said.
The United States contributes 6,800 troops to Nato's training mission in Afghanistan, which will fall to 3,400 under the current plan, a Nato diplomat said. Washington also carries out a unilateral counter-terrorism mission in Afghanistan.
Nato's "hub-and-spoke" model for troops training and advising Afghan forces extends well beyond the capital Kabul to allow an international military presence at regional hubs. But Nato policymakers had been examining whether it was possible to keep those posts open, even as force levels fall.
"I believe we'll have sufficient resources, and our military commanders have told us we'll have sufficient resources, to stay in the basic posture," the diplomat said.
The senior diplomat, speaking to a small group of reporters on condition of anonymity, also expected Nato leaders to agree to some $5 billion in funding to sustain Afghan security forces at the current levels through 2020.
The current Nato commitment to fund the Afghan security forces only extends through 2017.
The funding is based on maintaining a goal of 352,000 Afghan soldiers and police. The official roster currently includes about 320,000 members of the security forces, a US military commander said earlier this week.
The final stage of the peace process which has begun in Doha could quite easily collapse if the Taliban exposes it to intransigence and continued violence
Premier League: Singapore police launch investigation into company attempting to buy Newcastle United
Bellagraph Nova's bid to buy Newcastle hit a snag after reports emerged last month of manipulated photos purporting to show former US president Barack Obama in a meeting with its founders in Paris, among other inconsistent claims
Marine General Frank McKenzie said the decision to reduce American troops reflects the Trump administration's confidence in the ability of Iraqi security forces to handle the militant threat in the country