Air strikes kill civilians in Yemen's al-Jawf province, residents say

DUBAI (Reuters) - Air strikes on Yemen's northern province of al-Jawf killed at least seven civilians on Wednesday, residents and an official from the Houthi movement said, in the third such incident since June as violence resurges in the war-damaged country.

Reuters July 16, 2020 00:15:09 IST
Air strikes kill civilians in Yemen's al-Jawf province, residents say

Air strikes kill civilians in Yemens alJawf province residents say

DUBAI (Reuters) - Air strikes on Yemen's northern province of al-Jawf killed at least seven civilians on Wednesday, residents and an official from the Houthi movement said, in the third such incident since June as violence resurges in the war-damaged country.

The Houthi health ministry spokesman said air raids by a Saudi-led coalition hit residential houses in the al-Hazm district, killing nine people including two children and two women. Two residents told Reuters seven people had been killed.

Coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki told Reuters the reports will be investigated: "We take this report very seriously and it will be fully investigated as all reports of this nature are, using an internationally approved, independent process."

The alliance intervened in Yemen in March 2015 soon after the Iran-aligned Houthi movement ousted the Saudi-backed government from power in the capital Sanaa.

Violence has picked up since the expiry in late May of a temporary ceasefire prompted by the coronavirus pandemic, with the Houthis repeatedly staging missile and drone attacks on Saudi cities and the coalition retaliating with air strikes.

Earlier this week the Houthis launched missiles and drones at Saudi border cities in what they called a response to air strikes that killed 10 civilians in the Hajjah region. The coalition later said it would investigate the matter.

In June, an air strike killed at least 12 people, including four children, in Saada province, according to the Houthis and a U.N. official. The coalition said it had struck a vehicle carrying armed Houthi combatants.

The United Nations last month removed the Western-backed coalition from a U.N. blacklist several years after it was first accused of killing and injuring children in Yemen.

The conflict, largely seen in the region as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, has killed more than 100,000 people and caused what the United Nations describes as the world's largest humanitarian crisis. The Houthis say they are fighting a corrupt system.

(Reporting by Yemen staff and Aziz El Yaakoubi; Writing by Ghaida Ghantous; Editing by Andrew Heavens, Mark Heinrich, William Maclean)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

Police, protesters clash during May Day rallies in Berlin
World

Police, protesters clash during May Day rallies in Berlin

By Christian Mang BERLIN (Reuters) - At least 5,000 protesters took to the streets on Saturday during May Day rallies in Berlin, clashing with police and injuring three officers, police said. The injuries occurred after some demonstrators threw fireworks, bottles and rocks in protests over social inequality

Somalia's parliament votes to cancel presidential term extension
World

Somalia's parliament votes to cancel presidential term extension

MOGADISHU (Reuters) -Somali lawmakers voted unanimously on Saturday to cancel a two-year presidential term extension they had approved last month, after clashes in the capital Mogadishu between factions of the security forces, which are divided over the issue. In a speech following the vote in the lower house of parliament, Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble ordered the army to return to barracks and urged politicians to avoid inciting violence

N. Korea says Biden policy shows U.S. intent on being hostile, vows response
World

N. Korea says Biden policy shows U.S. intent on being hostile, vows response

(Corrects name to Kwon, not Kim, in paragraphs 6-7) By Josh Smith SEOUL (Reuters) -Recent comments from U.S. President Joe Biden and members of his administration show he is intent on maintaining a hostile policy toward North Korea that will require a corresponding response from Pyongyang, North Korea's Foreign Ministry said on Sunday. The comments came in a series of statements carried on state news agency KCNA, after the White House on Friday said U.S.