A local police chief in Afghanistan says a suicide car bombing targeted Afghan soldiers lining up outside a bank in southern Helmand province, killing at least 29 people. Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor, said more than 50 have been wounded, including members of the police and army, civilians and staff of the New Kabul Bank branch where the attack took place.
Provincial police chief general Agha Noor Kentoz says the attacker struck on Thursday in Lashkargah, the provincial capital.
People likely had gathered there to collect salaries ahead of the upcoming holiday of Eid al-Fitr.
Haji Moladad Tobagar, health director in Lashkargah told The Associated Press that the hospital received 25 bodies after the attack, as well as 60 wounded.
He says he fears an even higher casualty toll as more victims were being brought in. The discrepancies in the casualty tolls could not immediately be reconciled.
No group has claimed responsibility for the brazen attack, but it comes as the Taliban ramp up their nationwide spring offensive despite government calls for a ceasefire during Ramadan.
The bomb tore through a queue of civilians and government employees who had lined up outside the bank to collect their salaries. The bank is believed to have been especially crowded ahead of the Eid holidays marking the end of Ramadan.
For years Helmand province, of which Lashkar Gah is the capital, was the centre piece of the Western military intervention in Afghanistan, but it has recently slipped deeper into a quagmire of instability.
The insurgents control vast swathes of the province, blighted by a huge opium harvest that helps fund the insurgency, and have repeatedly threatened to seize Lashkar Gah.
The Taliban effectively control or contest 10 of the 14 districts in Helmand, the deadliest province for British and US troops over the past decade.
Intensified fighting last year forced thousands of people to flee to Lashkar Gah from neighbouring districts.
Since they launched their spring offensive in late April, the Taliban has been mounting lethal assaults on the Afghan Army and police outposts in Helmand.
Washington is soon expected to announce an increase in the US military deployment to bolster Afghan forces as they struggle to contain the insurgency. American military commanders in Afghanistan have requested thousands of extra boots on the ground.
US troops in Afghanistan now number about 8,400, and there are another 5,000 from NATO allies, a far cry from the US presence of more than 100,000 six years ago. They mainly serve as trainers and advisers.
Pentagon chief Jim Mattis this month acknowledged that America still is "not winning" in Afghanistan nearly 16 years after the US-led invasion toppled the Taliban regime.
Mattis said he will present a new US military strategy for Afghanistan, along with adjusted troop numbers, in the coming weeks to President Donald Trump.
The Afghan conflict is the longest in American history, with US-led forces at war since the Taliban regime was ousted in 2001.
With inputs from agencies
Updated Date: Jun 22, 2017 16:04 PM