Afghanistan: At least 15 army cadets killed in suicide attack near Marshal Fahim Military Academy in Kabul

A suicide bomber killed 15 Afghan army trainees as they were leaving their base in Kabul, the defence ministry said, in the latest deadly attack in the capital.

AFP October 21, 2017 19:16:13 IST
Afghanistan: At least 15 army cadets killed in suicide attack near Marshal Fahim Military Academy in Kabul

Kabul: A suicide bomber killed 15 Afghan army trainees as they were leaving their base in Kabul on Saturday, the defence ministry said, in the latest deadly attack in the capital.

"This afternoon when a minibus carrying army cadets was coming out of the military academy, a suicide bomber on foot targeted them, martyring 15 and wounding four," defence ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri told AFP.

Kabul crime branch chief General Mohammad Salim Almas said police have launched an investigation into the attack which happened in the west of the city.

Afghanistan At least 15 army cadets killed in suicide attack near Marshal Fahim Military Academy in Kabul

Representational image. AP

"The minibus was carrying army trainees to their homes from Marshal Fahim military academy," Almas told AFP.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

It was the second suicide bombing in the Afghan capital in 24 hours and the seventh major assault in Afghanistan since Tuesday, taking the total death toll to more than 200, with hundreds more wounded.

The spate of deadly attacks underscores deteriorating security across the war-torn country as the resurgent Taliban step up their attacks on police and military bases and Islamic State continue to target Shiite mosques.

It was the fifth time since Tuesday that militants have launched a major attack against Afghanistan's beleaguered security forces already badly demoralised by high casualties and desertions.

In the deadliest of the recent attacks, around 50 Afghan soldiers were killed in a Taliban-claimed assault on a military base in the southern province of Kandahar.

Insurgents blasted their way into the compound using two explosives-laden Humvees, a tactic used in three separate attacks this week officials said.

The militants razed the base in the Chashmo area of Maiwand district to the ground, according to the defence ministry.

Afghan security forces have faced soaring casualties in their attempts to hold back the insurgents since NATO combat forces pulled out of the country at the end of 2014.

Casualties leapt by 35 percent in 2016, with 6,800 soldiers and police killed, according to US watchdog SIGAR.

The insurgents have carried out more complex attacks against security forces in 2017, with SIGAR describing troop casualties in the early part of the year as "shockingly high".

The attacks included assaults on a military hospital in Kabul in March which may have killed up to 100 people, and on a base in Mazar-i-Sharif in April which left 144 people dead.

Updated Date:

also read

FIFA World Cup Qualifiers 2022: India need to sustain momentum against Afghanistan, says forward Manvir Singh
Sports

FIFA World Cup Qualifiers 2022: India need to sustain momentum against Afghanistan, says forward Manvir Singh

India rode on a Sunil Chhetri brace to down Bangladesh 2-0 here on Monday for their first away win in a World Cup qualifier in 20 years.

US Open to welcome back supporters at 100 percent capacity, says USTA
Sports

US Open to welcome back supporters at 100 percent capacity, says USTA

After being forced to shut out fans last year due to Covid-19, the tournament will begin selling tickets for the 30 August - 12 September showdown at Flushing Meadows to the public on 15 July.

US can count on Turkey after Afghanistan troop pullout, says President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
World

US can count on Turkey after Afghanistan troop pullout, says President Recep Tayyip Erdogan

The United States is in the final stages of completing a military drawdown alongside NATO forces by 11 September, 20 years after invading Afghanistan