Afghan officials say Taliban driven back in Kunduz fighting | Reuters

KUNDUZ, Afghanistan Afghan security forces drove back Taliban insurgents attacking areas around the northern city of Kunduz, officials said on Saturday, after heavy fighting overnight in which dozens were killed and wounded. Kunduz, Afghanistan's fifth-biggest city, fell briefly to the Taliban last year and the militant Islamist movement has stepped up the pressure since announcing the start of its annual spring offensive this week.

Reuters April 16, 2016 17:02:04 IST
Afghan officials say Taliban driven back in Kunduz fighting
| Reuters

Afghan officials say Taliban driven back in Kunduz fighting
 Reuters

KUNDUZ, Afghanistan Afghan security forces drove back Taliban insurgents attacking areas around the northern city of Kunduz, officials said on Saturday, after heavy fighting overnight in which dozens were killed and wounded.

Kunduz, Afghanistan's fifth-biggest city, fell briefly to the Taliban last year and the militant Islamist movement has stepped up the pressure since announcing the start of its annual spring offensive this week.

Defense Ministry spokesman General Dawlat Waziri said 40 Taliban fighters had been killed and around 50 wounded after being beaten back by government forces. There were no details about any possible casualties among Afghan security forces.

U.S. surveillance aircraft were supporting Afghan security forces but there were no air strikes or other involvement by coalition forces in the fighting, a spokesman for the NATO-led Resolute Support mission said.

Mindful of the panic that prompted thousands to flee last year, Provincial Governor Asadullah Omarkhel walked around the center of Kunduz city on Saturday, speaking to residents to reassure them that there was no risk of a repeat of the rapid collapse of the city's defenses last year.

The renewed fighting in Kunduz and continuing combat in other regions, including the southern province of Helmand, point to another dangerous year for Afghan security forces, which lost some 5,500 troops killed last year after NATO ended its main combat mission in 2014.

It will also add to fears of another year of instability in Afghanistan driving an exodus that saw more than 200,000 Afghans reach Europe last year, the biggest single group after Syrians fleeing civil war.

The Kunduz provincial government said fighting was concentrated in Khanabad and Chardara districts and the villages of Charkh Ab and Talawka, and that 28 Taliban fighters had been killed and 38 wounded.

It said in a statement from its media office that Afghan and foreign forces had taken part in the operation but gave no detail beyond saying that weapons and ammunition had been captured from the insurgents.

Saad Mukhtar, head of the public health department in Kunduz, said six dead and 87 wounded, including children, had been taken to hospitals in Kunduz so far.

The city's medical facilities face a major challenge to cope with large numbers of wounded, with the large Medecins Sans Frontieres hospital in Kunduz still closed six months after it was destroyed in a U.S. air strike.

(Writing by James Mackenzie; Editing by Paul Tait)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

also read

Facebook has known for a year and a half that Instagram is bad for teens despite claiming otherwise
World

Facebook has known for a year and a half that Instagram is bad for teens despite claiming otherwise

Facebook's policy of pursuing profits regardless of documented harm has sparked comparisons to Big Tobacco, which knew in the 1950s that its products were carcinogenic but publicly denied it into the 21st century

Facebook's internal research revealed that Instagram is harmful for teens
News & Analysis

Facebook's internal research revealed that Instagram is harmful for teens

According to Facebook, parents can help by repeatedly talking to their teens about the difference between appearance and reality.

Daughter kidnapped by father reunites with mother after 14 years through Facebook
World

Daughter kidnapped by father reunites with mother after 14 years through Facebook

Their official meeting or reunion took place on Monday (13 September) in Texas, but the two had earlier met at the border last week. They met each other after communicating on social media.