A year after Jamal Khashoggi's murder, rights groups demand justice for slain Washington Post columnist

Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist, was killed and dismembered at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018, in an operation that reportedly involved 15 agents sent from Riyadh. His body was never found.

Agence France-Presse October 02, 2019 22:13:50 IST
A year after Jamal Khashoggi's murder, rights groups demand justice for slain Washington Post columnist
  • Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist, was killed and dismembered at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018,

  • The grisly details of Khashoggi's murder, which emerged largely from Turkish sources, sparked a global outcry

  • Dozens of top global executives boycotted his showcase business conference, the Future Investment Initiative, last year

Dubai: International human rights groups demanded justice Wednesday for slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, saying that a year after his brutal murder, Saudi authorities had yet to provide any "meaningful accountability". The rights watchdogs also called on Riyadh to release the numerous government critics who remain in custody.

A year after Jamal Khashoggis murder rights groups demand justice for slain Washington Post columnist

File image of an activist protesting against Jamal Khashoggi's murder. Reuters

Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist, was killed and dismembered at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018, in an operation that reportedly involved 15 agents sent from Riyadh. His body was never found.

Eleven suspects have been on trial in Riyadh, with five of them facing the death penalty, but hearings are held behind closed doors and the names of the defendants have not been released. "Saudi authorities have obstructed meaningful accountability for Khashoggi's murder," Human Rights Watch said in a statement.

The New York-based watchdog criticised recent comments by the kingdom's de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, in which he accepted collective responsiblity for Khashoggi's murder, but denied he was personally to blame.

"If he's serious, the crown prince and his government should provide transparency into the ongoing trial and reveal everything they know about the planning, execution, and aftermath of Khashoggi's murder," HRW's Middle East director, Sarah Leah Whitson, said.

Amnesty International said Prince Mohammed's admission of "full responsibility as a leader in Saudi Arabia" would remain a public relation stunt if not met with immediate action.

This must include "prompt and unrestricted access to independent human rights monitors into the country, including to observe and publicly report on the ongoing trial," said Amnesty's Middle East research director, Lynn Maalouf. In a letter to King Salman, the Vienna-based International Press Institute demanded a transparent trial for those implicated in Khashoggi's murder.

"As recommended by the UN special rapporteur, the government should support a UN-led additional criminal investigation and conduct a transparent retrial with international input, support and oversight," the institute said.

The grisly details of Khashoggi's murder, which emerged largely from Turkish sources, sparked a global outcry and turned Prince Mohammad into a virtual pariah.

Dozens of top global executives boycotted his showcase business conference, the Future Investment Initiative, last year.

But the outrage has since dissipated and the Washington Post reported that global firms including Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and Citigroup were planning to send top executives to this year's event later this month.

Updated Date:

also read

Saudi Arabia bans travel to 16 countries including India over new COVID outbreaks
World

Saudi Arabia bans travel to 16 countries including India over new COVID outbreaks

The sixteen countries where the citizens of Saudi Arabia are banned to travel apart from India include Lebanon, Syria, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Ethiopia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Libya, Indonesia, Vietnam, Armenia, Belarus, and Venezuela

Tiger Woods rips 'polarising' Phil Mickelson over Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf
Sports

Tiger Woods rips 'polarising' Phil Mickelson over Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf

Tiger Woods said he has not reached out to Mickelson and said he didn't know if there was any need for issues to be resolved.

Jack Nicklaus turned down $100 million-plus offer from Saudi-backed LIV Golf International Series
Sports

Jack Nicklaus turned down $100 million-plus offer from Saudi-backed LIV Golf International Series

Jack Nicklaus, 82, an 18-time major winner said he turned down the offers out of loyalty to the PGA Tour.